From: Ulisse on
Hi, I have just installed Outpost Pro firewall and some time it opens
a window with this writing:
System Object: Windows Shell Open Commands
Object Data in HKCR\scrfile\shell\open\command\
Critical system object was changed. This may be a result of spyware
activity. Outpost Firewall Pro Anti-Spyware can restore the object to
its original default value.

Then I have 2 options: Restore and Add Ignore List.
If I like to stop that object, have I click on Restore?
Thanks and I'm sorry for my bad english.

bye Ulisse
From: Volker Birk on
Ulisse <ulixis(a)nospamemail.it> wrote:
> Hi, I have just installed Outpost Pro firewall

Sincere concolences.

> and some time it opens
> a window with this writing:

Yes. Ridiculous nonsense.

> Then I have 2 options: Restore and Add Ignore List.
> If I like to stop that object, have I click on Restore?

Better remove Outpost. It has design flaws anyway.

Yours,
VB.
--
> was ist wenn $BACKUPSERVER und $PRODUKTIVSERVER in einem Geb?ude, Stockwerk
> oder Serverraum stehen und die L?schanlage (Fehlfunktion oder Brandfall)
> die komplette IT zerst?rt
Murphy meets Darwin. (Timm Thiemann zu Thomas Wildgruber in d.a.s.r)
From: Ulisse on
What do you mean? Is there a better firewall than Outpost Pro?
mmmm, in every web site they tell Outpst is a very goog firewall.
Do you know a better firewall?
thanks

>Ulisse <ulixis(a)nospamemail.it> wrote:
>> Hi, I have just installed Outpost Pro firewall
>
>Sincere concolences.
>
>> and some time it opens
>> a window with this writing:
>
>Yes. Ridiculous nonsense.
>
>> Then I have 2 options: Restore and Add Ignore List.
>> If I like to stop that object, have I click on Restore?
>
>Better remove Outpost. It has design flaws anyway.
>
>Yours,
>VB.

bye Ulisse
From: Volker Birk on
Ulisse <ulixis(a)nospamemail.it> wrote:
> What do you mean? Is there a better firewall than Outpost Pro?
> mmmm, in every web site they tell Outpst is a very goog firewall.

Outpost has (like Sygate) the design flaw, that it installs a system
service, which opens windows. This is a security breach and shows,
that Outpost's programmers don't have a clue of Windows system
programming, especially they're not understanding Windows security
at all.

Please read:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/interactive_services.asp

> Do you know a better firewall?

What's wrong with the Windows-Firewall? And: for what purpose do you need
a host based paket filter? Isn't this enough, what Torsten is writing here
on his web-page:

http://ntsvcfg.de/ntsvcfg_eng.html

Viele Gr??e,
VB.
From: Kerodo on
In article <p2peu11qtevia7ucqljl8odkkpnsruuflo(a)4ax.com>,
ulixis(a)NOSPAMemail.it says...
> Hi, I have just installed Outpost Pro firewall and some time it opens
> a window with this writing:
> System Object: Windows Shell Open Commands
> Object Data in HKCR\scrfile\shell\open\command\
> Critical system object was changed. This may be a result of spyware
> activity. Outpost Firewall Pro Anti-Spyware can restore the object to
> its original default value.
>
> Then I have 2 options: Restore and Add Ignore List.
> If I like to stop that object, have I click on Restore?
> Thanks and I'm sorry for my bad english.

I saw this on a fresh install of Win2k recently when experimenting with
Outpost 3.5 beta and it's most likely nonsense. Just a false positive
of sorts, but this is the kind of silliness you'll get with this type of
software. The problem with software that tries to get too smart for
it's own good is that you'll likely get a host of popups about
absolutely nothing, which is very annoying to me. So I don't use a
software firewall, just test and play with them occasionally.

If you want an alternative, maybe try kerio 4.2.3, it's not as touchy
and it's easier to use out of the box, yet you can configure rules and
so on if you desire too. My experience with Outpost is that it's pretty
buggy and flakey at times.

Anyway, if you insist on a software firewall, then try several of them
and see which works best on your PC.

--
Kerodo