From: Andrew Jensen on
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:42 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti(a)nexaima.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I just interviewed Tony, who's starting an audio documentation project
> for blind computer users willing to switch to Linux and Free Software:
>
> http://stop.zona-m.net/node/150
>
> the question for this list is: do audio tutorials like those Tony is
> asking for already exist for OOo, even on Windows? I mean, not generic
> ones, but specifically:
>
> audio tutorials for Writer, or Calc, or Impress, Base...
>
> or text tutorials written in a way that a vision-impaired user could
> actually follow them, when spoken with a speech synthesizer (example:
> a tutorial that reads things like "and now click on the blue button"
> would not work)
>
> If such resources already exist, thanks in advance for letting me (or
> Tony!) know, I'll forward the links and add them to my article.
>
> Marco

Hello Marco,

Great lead - and timely to me.

I tried setting up the odt2daisy extension, about 2 weeks ago, but have not
been able to get it to function, the idea was to see if I could convert our
user manuals to daisy format files. I've been meaning to ask for help on the
list, if we could do this I think it would fit.

Ideas?

Drew
From: "M. Fioretti" on
On Tue, May 04, 2010 07:51:10 AM -0400, Andrew Jensen (drewjensen.inbox(a)gmail.com) wrote:

> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:42 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti(a)nexaima.net> wrote:
>
> I just interviewed Tony, who's starting an audio documentation
> project for blind computer users willing to switch to Linux and Free
> Software: http://stop.zona-m.net/node/150
>
> Hello Marco,
>
> Great lead - and timely to me.
>
> I tried setting up the odt2daisy extension, about 2 weeks ago, but
> have not been able to get it to function, the idea was to see if I
> could convert our user manuals to daisy format files. I've been
> meaning to ask for help on the list, if we could do this I think it
> would fit.

Andrew,

I'm happy you find Tony's project a great idea. Personally I don't
know anything about that extension so I can't help you. Speaking of
the tutorials that you could produce once it works, I _believe_ that
they would be useful (if the original text _was_ written with
accessibility in mind, see my first post), but the best thing to do
would be to directly ask tony via email. If you do, please keep me in
CC, I'd like to know how things develop.

Ciao,
Marco

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Malte Timmermann on
Hi Marco and Drew.

Draw - odf2daisy worked for me the last time I tried it.
If you have any issues with that contact the author (Vincent). He is
very cooperative.

Marco - I am not aware of anything you are looking for in English.
I am only aware of a German project that works on instruction material
for blind people. They cover different applications on Linux, including
at least OOo Writer.

They also include hints for OOo configuration. e.g. for blind people the
automatic correction/completion might be a bad thing and should be
turned of.

I guess it's only available in German, and it's using a not very
commonly used screen reader. But maybe it helps for getting some ideas
on what to document, and how the documentation should look like. Just in
case you have somebody in the team who can read/translate German...

SUE project:
http://service.it-science-center.de/mediawiki/index.php/4_Schulungskonzept

A concrete lesson:
http://service.it-science-center.de/mediawiki/index.php/4.5.5_INCOBS_Hamburg

HTH,
Malte.

From: jonathon on

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Andrew Jensen on
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM, jonathon <jonathon.blake(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/04/2010 11:51 AM, Andrew Jensen wrote:
>
>> I tried setting up the odt2daisy extension, about 2 weeks ago, but have not been able to get it to function,
>
> What precisely do you mean by "have not been able to get it to function"?

Hello Jonathon,

Well, Last time I tried (using some OO.o dev build, don;t recall
which) under 64bit Linux, it would hang without ever getting to the
first dialog.

Today I downloaded a new copy of odt2Daisy 2.1 and installed it with
OO.o 3.2 and dev 3.2.1m_16 under 32 bit Vista.

I've started a conversation on the documentation mailing list and
would like to use one list if possible, sounds like you have some
experience here and I appreciated your input.

Also, will be using the wiki to keep track of things as I go:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:DrewJensen/daisy

Best wishes,

Drew