From: Mike Powell on
john(a)wexfordpress.com, writes:

> I have seen posts that state that Cobol compilers are expensive. In
> fact there are two free compilers that run on desktop computers. I
> have settled on Open Cobol because there is a bigger crew of
> programmers working on it. Installation on Linux is straightforward.
> Installation on Windows is, shall we say, an all-day job.

Is there also a free PC-SPF clone for linux? What about an Xpeditor clone?

I could do without both, but they'd be nice. ;)

##MMR 2.61(beta). !link 02-11-10 11:15

From: Richard on

http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?action=browse&diff=1&id=Hybrid_Editor_XE
From: john on
On Feb 11, 6:51 pm, "Mike Powell" <Mike.Pow...(a)capcity2.synchro.net>
wrote:
>  j...(a)wexfordpress.com, writes:
> > I have seen posts that state that Cobol compilers are expensive. In
> > fact there are two free compilers that run on desktop  computers. I
> > have settled on Open Cobol because there is a bigger crew of
> > programmers working on it. Installation on Linux is straightforward.
> > Installation on Windows is, shall we say, an all-day job.
>
> Is there also a free PC-SPF clone for linux?  What about an Xpeditor clone?
>
> I could do without both, but they'd be nice.  ;)
>
> ##MMR 2.61(beta).  !link  02-11-10 11:15

There are bunches of good editors for Linux. I use Gvim which has
syntax highlighting for COBOL
and half a hundred other programming languages.
Others prefer Emacs.

I went through the new Open Cobol manual last night. The feature set
is more extensive than I thought.
It is well written, with some sample programs (one dating back to the
sixties and renewed for generations
of computers.)