From: "Bruce Martin" on
Dear Everybody:

(No presumption of privacy here!)

Recently I have seen a number of exchanged messages about people who post
here for help with specific applications within Oo.

I have a few questions about what seems to have transpired:

1) Did somebody complain about lack or privacy in regard to a post? Do
many contributors have the expectation or presumption of a measure of
privacy that simply does not exist?

2) Is there a problem with people who post specific questions here,
looking for help (possibly in that others have the feeling that many of
these questions fill the space without contributing much of value to the
development and marketing of Oo?)

3) Is this possible expectation/concern a real need to the group to
separate this type of request?

4) Is there a better area for such posters to ask free help-related
questions and have a reasonably credible expectation of getting the help
they need?

5) If item 4 exists, could we not post something like a sticky note to
catch the attention of the help seekers and redirect them? If so, how
strongly do we need to word the redirection to be effective, yet not appear
angry or condescending?

I hope this comes over as a somewhat diplomatic approach to the situation,
but I may be short on some degree of close familiarity with the
interpersonal dynamics existing.

Best Regards,

Bruce Martin

From: Robert Holtzman on
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 03:43:09PM -0500, Bruce Martin wrote:
> Dear Everybody:
>
> (No presumption of privacy here!)

Me either ;)

> Recently I have seen a number of exchanged messages about people who post
> here for help with specific applications within Oo.
>
> I have a few questions about what seems to have transpired:
>
> 1) Did somebody complain about lack or privacy in regard to a post? Do
> many contributors have the expectation or presumption of a measure of
> privacy that simply does not exist?

A previous poster asked to be replied to off list as they were concerned
about their privacy. I posted pointing out that this is a public list
read and archived worldwide.

> 2) Is there a problem with people who post specific questions here,
> looking for help (possibly in that others have the feeling that many of
> these questions fill the space without contributing much of value to the
> development and marketing of Oo?)

Mostly there is no problem except for a few people who claim to see one.

> 3) Is this possible expectation/concern a real need to the group to
> separate this type of request?

*I* don't see the need.

> 4) Is there a better area for such posters to ask free help-related
> questions and have a reasonably credible expectation of getting the help
> they need?

Nothing wrong with this place.

> 5) If item 4 exists, could we not post something like a sticky note to
> catch the attention of the help seekers and redirect them? If so, how
> strongly do we need to word the redirection to be effective, yet not appear
> angry or condescending?

See answer to #4.

> I hope this comes over as a somewhat diplomatic approach to the situation,
> but I may be short on some degree of close familiarity with the
> interpersonal dynamics existing.

I don't see any real *situation* here and I'm unaware of any
interpersonal dynamic.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279
From: Larry Gusaas on
On 2010/02/19 4:14 PM Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> 1) Did somebody complain about lack or privacy in regard to a post? Do
>> > many contributors have the expectation or presumption of a measure of
>> > privacy that simply does not exist?
>>
> A previous poster asked to be replied to off list as they were concerned
> about their privacy. I posted pointing out that this is a public list
> read and archived worldwide.

This points out the real problem - allowing posts from people who are
not subscribed to the mailing lists. The OP is not subscribed to this
list and probably was not aware they were posting to a mailing list.

--
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: "Peter Hyde" on
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for such a well worded, reasonable and helpful post.

As a happy OpenOffice.org user for many years, I have passed on the program
via CD to literally hundreds of now happy users, and have subscribed to this
list/forum for many years now.

One of the problems I see at times which saddens me, is the lack of any real
help at times, (I say at times, because quite often real help is given and a
solution is thus there for all to benefit from) given to new users, or users
with real problems.

At times some will post a questions which is relatively basic and many
current users fully grasp how to solve such a problem, but instead of any
help given, exception is taken with a misworded question or a question which
may be technically incorrect, but the actual meaning is perfectly clear, and
some will amuse themselves by picking on the misworded section or technical
mistake, rather than help. This would no doubt be rather frustrating to the
person who is seeking some assistance, and would cause many to stop using
this wonderful program.

It is sort of like a person who visits Australia from the USA, they suffer
an injury which greatly concerns them, so they dial 911 for help. Thankfully
Telstra divert the call to the 000 system, and an Ambulance is dispatched.
But on arrival the Ambulance crew correctly point out to the person that
they are in Australia now, and that to get help in Australia you need to
dial 000, and they then drive of without actually providing the assistance
that moved the person to dial 911 in the first place.

This would naturally be unacceptable, and if any of us were in the position
we would not be happy. So if a person was to post a reasonable and real
question for which they would appreciate some help in this list, then this
would be a good opportunity to give such help. In so doing there would be no
problem in alerting a user who did not know that this was a public forum
that it is, and advice them what to do if they wanted to preserve their
privacy, such as giving them the links to un-subscribe etc, just as it would
not be a problem for the Ambulance crew to let the person know that they
should dial 000 in the future. But it is not appropriate to just mock them
and not provide a real answer or give any real help.

Recently I have seen a number of exchanged messages about people who post
here for help with specific applications within Oo.

I have a few questions about what seems to have transpired:

1) Did somebody complain about lack or privacy in regard to a post? Do
many contributors have the expectation or presumption of a measure of
privacy that simply does not exist?

Some do not know that this is a public forum and so may well be concerned
about their privacy, the kind thing to do would be while addressing their
problem to let them know that it is, and give them a link to un-scribe if
they so wish.

2) Is there a problem with people who post specific questions here,
looking for help (possibly in that others have the feeling that many of
these questions fill the space without contributing much of value to the
development and marketing of Oo?)

More than likely. Some may at times become frustrated with apparently
simple, or even un-resolvable questions. But every user is at a different
level, and to give the person who has asked a question their dignity, we can
if we wish address their issue in a helpful manner, or if we wish to degrade
them, we can do that as well. But in my humble opinion I don't think this
actually helps anyone but the person scratching his ego.

3) Is this possible expectation/concern a real need to the group to
separate this type of request?

Perhaps, or perhaps we could simply answer the question to the best of our
ability, and let them know where they can go for further assistance to
protect their privacy if they so wish, or again un-scribe if they so wish.

4) Is there a better area for such posters to ask free help-related
questions and have a reasonably credible expectation of getting the help
they need?

This is an excellent way where a new user, or one with a problem can get
answers to their problems, that is if they actually get an answer, not
simply treated as a simpleton.

5) If item 4 exists, could we not post something like a sticky note to
catch the attention of the help seekers and redirect them? If so, how
strongly do we need to word the redirection to be effective, yet not appear
angry or condescending?

It may well help to make it clear which forum is for development, which one
is for help and assistance etc. However even if that was made clearer many
lost souls will still post in the wrong forums. But again if that was to be
the case, while kindly informing them of their mistake, like a good
Ambulance crew we can actually provide the assistance they require while we
are communicating with them.

I hope this comes over as a somewhat diplomatic approach to the situation,
but I may be short on some degree of close familiarity with the
interpersonal dynamics existing.

I doubt it. There is none so blind as those who will not see.

Best Regards,

Bruce Martin

From: Michael Adams on
On Saturday 20 February 2010 11:54, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> On 2010/02/19 4:14 PM Robert Holtzman wrote:
> >> 1) Did somebody complain about lack or privacy in regard to a post? Do

> > A previous poster asked to be replied to off list as they were concerned
> > about their privacy. I posted pointing out that this is a public list
> > read and archived worldwide.
>
> This points out the real problem - allowing posts from people who are
> not subscribed to the mailing lists. The OP is not subscribed to this
> list and probably was not aware they were posting to a mailing list.

How did they get that assumption? All OO.o website links to this list clearly
mark it so. Perhaps they were directed to the list by a third party.
Somewhere they got misinformation because this is not meant to be the help
list.

--
Michael

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org