From: RA Brown on
Bruce Martin wrote:
> As I understand it, an iPAD is a hand held MP3 player. This is not to be
> confused with an iPAQ, made by Hewlett-Packard. The latter device is a
> PDA that uses Windows Mobile as an O.S. and links on windows with MS
> Outlook, amongst other things. The capabilities of the latter are much
> more than the iPAD as far as I know, but the price is also accordingly
> much more.

An iPAD is the newest release from Apple. It is basically a table PC
with a touch screen or an advanced book reader. It uses WiFi to connect
to the Internet for web browsing. It can connect to a Mac using
firewire to sync files. I am not sure what other apps can be loaded.

The iPOD is an MP3 player.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Bruce Martin on
It sounds like this one is really a mini Apple.

You should be able to pump it with files by adding a firewire or
firewire 800 card and the appropriate type of cable.

If you are transferring from a non-Apple environment, you will have to
rebuiol;d the Mac Fork on each file in the iPAD. (Lest the apples go
rotten - guffaw!)

Best regards,

Bruce M.

From: John W Kennedy on
On May 10, 2010, at 5:53 PM, RA Brown wrote:
> newsdlrp(a)free.fr wrote:
>> Hello, I would like to know if Open Office for iPad is planned ? Thanks.
>
> Porting to the iPAD would require special approval from Apple and is not likely to happen.

That depends on what you mean by "porting". The full OOo function set is too rich and complex to make a tolerable iPad application (far too many menus and submenus), and even in a cut-down version, any screen/keyboard/mouse code would have to be redesigned and recoded in Objective-C and Cocoa Touch, while any other code would have to be put into C, C++, Objective-C, or Objective-C++, but, depending on the state of the code for the Mac OS X version of OOo (which I cannot speak to at all), it might be easy or difficult to create a decent cut-down version that would meet Apple's requirements -- though probably difficult. It may also be that OOo is too large for the iPad, which does not have file-based virtual memory.

I think it would be strategically wiser for someone to design an iPad application from scratch that uses OpenDocument for file storage.

--
John W Kennedy
"You can, if you wish, class all science-fiction together; but it is about as perceptive as classing the works of Ballantyne, Conrad and W. W. Jacobs together as the 'sea-story' and then criticizing _that_."

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Larry Gusaas on
On 2010/05/10 4:15 PM Bruce Martin wrote:
> You should be able to pump it with files by adding a firewire or
> firewire 800 card and the appropriate type of cable.

No Firewire on the iPad. It syncs with your computer with USB and
through iTunes.
Read about the iPad specs before making uninformed statements.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: John W Kennedy on
On May 10, 2010, at 6:00 PM, RA Brown wrote:
Bruce Martin wrote:
>> As I understand it, an iPAD is a hand held MP3 player. This is not to be confused with an iPAQ, made by Hewlett-Packard. The latter device is a PDA that uses Windows Mobile as an O.S. and links on windows with MS Outlook, amongst other things. The capabilities of the latter are much more than the iPAD as far as I know, but the price is also accordingly much more.
>
> An iPAD is the newest release from Apple. It is basically a table PC with a touch screen or an advanced book reader. It uses WiFi to connect to the Internet for web browsing.

Optionally, it can use 3G in addition to WiFi.

> It can connect to a Mac using firewire to sync files.

USB, not Firewire, and it can connect to Windows, too. (It uses a traditional iPod/iPhone cable.)

> I am not sure what other apps can be loaded.

Pretty much any iPhone or iPod Touch app that is not directly dependent on specific hardware requirements (for example, only the iPhone has full telephony) will run on the iPad. Many developers for iPhone OS are now upgrading their apps to have iPad modes (which basically means nothing more than recognizing and taking advantage of the much larger screen).

Mac OS X and iPhone OS, on the other hand, are not compatible. To begin with, Mac OS X runs on Intel x86 or x64 (or PowerPC, but not anymore), while iPhone OS runs on ARM. But there is a large overlap of function at the source level, iPhone OS being pretty much a proper subset of Mac OS X when it comes to things like strings and encoding, date and time handling, localization, and file and memory management. At the GUI level, Mac OS X and iPhone OS are not compatible, but they are generally analogous.

--
John W Kennedy
A proud member of the reality-based community.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org