From: Nick Fort on
Hi all,

I'm trying to get my hands on the Open Scientific Library (OSL), which
has the official site libosl.org. However, that site is down (and has
been for about a week, probably a bit more*), but the Google cache
(http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?
q=cache:sZZQiJWiXUoJ:libosl.org/+libosl+fortran&cd=1
&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a) of the site tells me that it's exactly
what I've been looking for - a GSL-like library, but written in Fortran
95.

I've searched high and low for mirrors, but without any luck. I've also
emailed the OSL's creator, Jason Blevins, but I've yet to receive a
reply, and I don't want to pester the man with more emails; I'm sure
he's busy, and I appreciate his effort in getting the OSL going in the
first place.

So, I thought that this might be a good place to ask if anyone knows of
a mirror, or has a copy of the OSL lying around on their hard-drive that
they could email to me or put up somewhere else on the net for others to
download. As far as I understand, it is released openly to the public
under the GNU licence (or a similar one), such that sharing it wouldn't
be a legal issue.

Thanks!
NickFort

* I've been trying every day since the 28th of July. Google's cache is
from the 24th of July, but -- interestingly -- Bing's cache claims the
following: "Below is a snapshot of the Web page as it appeared on
7/2/2010 (the last time our crawler visited it)". I would assume that
the date format is the American one, i.e. mm/dd/yyyy. How did it cache
yesterday, then, when it's been down since at least the 28th of July?
From: Dave Allured on
Nick Fort wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get my hands on the Open Scientific Library (OSL), which
> has the official site libosl.org. However, that site is down (and has
> been for about a week, probably a bit more*), but the Google cache
> (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?
> q=cache:sZZQiJWiXUoJ:libosl.org/+libosl+fortran&cd=1
> &hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a) of the site tells me that it's exactly
> what I've been looking for - a GSL-like library, but written in Fortran
> 95.
>
> I've searched high and low for mirrors, but without any luck. I've also
> emailed the OSL's creator, Jason Blevins, but I've yet to receive a
> reply, and I don't want to pester the man with more emails; I'm sure
> he's busy, and I appreciate his effort in getting the OSL going in the
> first place.
>
> So, I thought that this might be a good place to ask if anyone knows of
> a mirror, or has a copy of the OSL lying around on their hard-drive that
> they could email to me or put up somewhere else on the net for others to
> download. As far as I understand, it is released openly to the public
> under the GNU licence (or a similar one), such that sharing it wouldn't
> be a legal issue.

I don't know about OSL. Have you considered FGSL, a library of fortran
95/2003 interfaces to GSL? I recently tried this for the advanced
random generators and one of the beta functions, with good results.

http://www.lrz.de/services/software/mathematik/gsl/fortran/

--Dave
From: Nick Fort on
In article <4C317B44.1C3F(a)nospom.com>, nospom(a)nospom.com says...

> Nick Fort wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to get my hands on the Open Scientific Library (OSL), which
> > has the official site libosl.org. However, that site is down (and has
> > been for about a week, probably a bit more*), but the Google cache
> > (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?
> > q=cache:sZZQiJWiXUoJ:libosl.org/+libosl+fortran&cd=1
> > &hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a) of the site tells me that it's exactly
> > what I've been looking for - a GSL-like library, but written in Fortran
> > 95.
> >
> > I've searched high and low for mirrors, but without any luck. I've also
> > emailed the OSL's creator, Jason Blevins, but I've yet to receive a
> > reply, and I don't want to pester the man with more emails; I'm sure
> > he's busy, and I appreciate his effort in getting the OSL going in the
> > first place.
> >
> > So, I thought that this might be a good place to ask if anyone knows of
> > a mirror, or has a copy of the OSL lying around on their hard-drive that
> > they could email to me or put up somewhere else on the net for others to
> > download. As far as I understand, it is released openly to the public
> > under the GNU licence (or a similar one), such that sharing it wouldn't
> > be a legal issue.
>
> I don't know about OSL. Have you considered FGSL, a library of fortran
> 95/2003 interfaces to GSL? I recently tried this for the advanced
> random generators and one of the beta functions, with good results.
>
> http://www.lrz.de/services/software/mathematik/gsl/fortran/
>
> --Dave

Hi Dave,

I've had a look at FGSL -- I tried a simple example, and there were
compiling issues. The compiler (gfortran and g95) complained about
integer.finc not being found, or something like that. Admittedly, I did
use some pre-built binaries of the GSL, which might be the problem.

My main issue with FGSL is that I don't actually know where to start, or
how to compile GSL in the first place. As much as I like Linux, I have
to do this project in Windows, and information on GNU projects is
generally scarce for non-*nix systems. I suppose that's understandable,
but it doesn't really help me.

Any tips on getting it working?

Thanks,
NickFort
From: Reinhold Bader on
Nick Fort schrieb:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I've had a look at FGSL -- I tried a simple example, and there were
> compiling issues. The compiler (gfortran and g95) complained about
> integer.finc not being found, or something like that. Admittedly, I did
> use some pre-built binaries of the GSL, which might be the problem.

This should not be a problem. You do need the include files from GSL
though since some glue subroutines are in C. For solving the build problems
please contact me offline, providing the exact command line you used
for running configure, and all of its output. Are you running on a 32 or
a 64 bit system?

Regards
Reinhold