From: rfengineer55 on
Hello all,

Do youk now if anyone has ever written Fotran 77 equivalent or close
approximation for the VMS Open usingkeyed access?

I'm not expecting an "exact" replacement because there is no such
thing, than the thing itself.

I am looking for something that is "close." How close? What's
available out there, and I'll decide what will work for my
application.

What I like about Keyed Accss is the key value is used for the initial
search without having to go through each and every record. Plus
conversion from VMS over to fortran77 woulod be a pushover if I had
something I could drop in.

For my particular application, it does not look like it would be that
hard to write something. I don't want to reinvent the wheel. A wheel
that's not perfecly round is also perfectly acceptable.

Thanks beforehand for the information, and have a good forth.

Jeff

RF EBINEER55
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
rfengineer55 <rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote:

> Do youk now if anyone has ever written Fotran 77 equivalent or close
> approximation for the VMS Open usingkeyed access?

> I'm not expecting an "exact" replacement because there is no such
> thing, than the thing itself.

> I am looking for something that is "close." How close? What's
> available out there, and I'll decide what will work for my
> application.

How big is the file? If not so big, just read the whole
thing into memory and find the needed records. Binary search
would be faster, but linear search will probably do fine.

-- glen
From: rfengineer55 on
On Jul 3, 1:09 pm, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> rfengineer55 <rfenginee...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> > Do youk now if anyone has ever written Fotran 77 equivalent or close
> > approximation for the VMS Open usingkeyed access?
> > I'm not  expecting an "exact" replacement because there is no such
> > thing, than the thing itself.
> > I am looking for something that is "close." How close? What's
> > available out there, and I'll decide what will work for my
> > application.
>
> How big is the file?  If not so big, just read the whole
> thing into memory and find the needed records.  Binary search
> would be faster, but linear search will probably do fine.
>
> -- glen

glen=
-
19mb

But I rather use someone's specially created subroutine if such thing
exists.

I have done as you suggest but the needed modifications are splattered
about in the original code. I would rather avoid that, if I can.

Thank you for your suggestion though,

RF Engineer55 Jeff