From: Robin on
How can I get started doing windows gui programming with fortran?

Thanks......
-Robin
From: Philipp E. Weidmann on
Robin wrote:
> How can I get started doing windows gui programming with fortran?
>
> Thanks......
> -Robin

While some Fortran compilers, like Lahey
(http://www.lahey.com/lf71/lfwin.htm), allow you to call the Windows API
and therefore write GUI applications, I strongly advise you against it,
because such programs will not compile with any compiler and might have
cross-platform issues as well.

If you have a Fortran program and want to give it a graphical user
interface, you are better off writing that in a language like Java or
C++ and making it communicate with your Fortran backend, e.g. using
command line arguments or, better yet, files. Java applications run on
amost any platform (so you will have not only a Windows GUI but one for
other OSs as well), and the backend can be developed in
standard-compliant Fortran, eliminating most (if not all) compatibility
issues.

--
-- Philipp Emanuel Weidmann
From: Gib Bogle on
Robin wrote:
> How can I get started doing windows gui programming with fortran?
>
> Thanks......
> -Robin

I've used Qt (programming in C++), calling the Fortran code built as a library.
From: feenberg on
On Jul 4, 4:07 am, Robin <rob...(a)cnsp.com> wrote:
> How can I get started doing windows gui programming with fortran?
>
> Thanks......
> -Robin

I have been looking at DISLIN as a possibility for this - although
mostly about scientific graphing, it has utility routines for some
common interactive dialog boxes. See:

http://www.mps.mpg.de/dislin/kap15.html#section_4

If you try it out, I hope you will post information about your
experience.

Daniel Feenberg
From: Gary L. Scott on

http://www.gino-graphics.com