From: Laurel on
In a PowerBuilder script, this line of code works fine in Word 9.0 (Office
2000). But it fails in Word 11.0 (Office 2003).

ole_word_file.MailMerge.OpenDataSource(is_excel_doc,0,FALSE,TRUE,FALSE,FALSE,"","",FALSE,"","","Entire
Spreadsheet")

The error is "Error 35 - Error calling external object function
OpenDataSource at line 52"

Two new parameters have been added in Word 11, [I found a 2003 thread in
this forum which suggesteed that the values should be as follows. This does
not work for me, but I'm working with Word 11, and the author of the 2003
thread was working with "Word 2002" - probably Office 2002? - don't know
what version, but probably 10. Should I be entering a different constant
value for the last parameter?

ole_word_file.MailMerge.OpenDataSource(is_excel_doc,0,FALSE,
TRUE,FALSE,FALSE,"","",FALSE,"","","Entire
Spreadsheet",FALSE,8)

Note that I have no experience working with OLE, so please use "for dummies"
language when responding.

TIA
LAS

From: Peter Jamieson on
Already answered in a previous thead.

Peter Jamieson

From: Laurel on
You responded to my question about which parameter pattern Word 10 follows,
but you didn't tell me what to do about the fact that I still am not able to
make a successfull call to OpenDataSource under Word 2003. Below I show
what I have tried - following the pattern you suggested in 2003 for a
similar problem under Office 2002. Can you see what I might be doing wrong
here? Perhpas the last parameter should no longer be 8?

From: Peter Jamieson on
I can't be sure with Powerbuilder but...

In Word 2002/2003 there are 16 parameters. I think you need an extra couple
of strings, i.e.

I think you need

ole_word_file.MailMerge.OpenDataSource(is_excel_doc,0,FALSE,
FALSE,FALSE,FALSE,"","",FALSE,"","","Entire Spreadsheet","","",FALSE,8)

(but actually I don't think the values of the first four booleans, if any,
will make any difference). The two strings are there to hold an SQL
statement that you don't need in this case.

That should open the Excel file using DDE, which is the default method used
in Word 2000 and which opens a copy of Excel. It would also be possible to
use OLEDB, which is the default method in Word 2002/2003 and is not
available in Word 2000, and which has other compatibility implications to do
with the format of the data.

From: Laurel on
I'm sorry, but I can't tell the difference between what you say I need and
what I am doing. I show two exampels, the old one first, with 14
parameters, and the new one, with 16, which looks just like the one you give
me. I got the second, one, with 16 parameters from an answer you gave in a
2003 posting. I wish this forum supported color so I could highlight what
I'm talking about in my original posting. It sounds like you may not have
scrolled down enough.

You're pretty sure that 8 is the proper value for the last parameter for
11.0? The answer you gave was in response to 10.0.

Bottom line - I'm already using what you suggest, and I get the error I
show. Any other ideas?

>I can't be sure with Powerbuilder but...
>
> In Word 2002/2003 there are 16 parameters. I think you need an extra
> couple of strings, i.e.
>
> I think you need
>
> ole_word_file.MailMerge.OpenDataSource(is_excel_doc,0,FALSE,
> FALSE,FALSE,FALSE,"","",FALSE,"","","Entire Spreadsheet","","",FALSE,8)
>
> (but actually I don't think the values of the first four booleans, if any,
> will make any difference). The two strings are there to hold an SQL
> statement that you don't need in this case.
>
> That should open the Excel file using DDE, which is the default method
> used in Word 2000 and which opens a copy of Excel. It would also be
> possible to use OLEDB, which is the default method in Word 2002/2003 and
> is not available in Word 2000, and which has other compatibility
> implications to do with the format of the data.
>
> Peter Jamieson
>
> "Laurel" <FakeMail(a)Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You responded to my question about which parameter pattern Word 10
>> follows, but you didn't tell me what to do about the fact that I still am
>> not able to make a successfull call to OpenDataSource under Word 2003.
>> Below I show what I have tried - following the pattern you suggested in
>> 2003 for a similar problem under Office 2002. Can you see what I might
>> be doing wrong here? Perhpas the last parameter should no longer be 8?
>>
>> "Peter Jamieson" <pjj(a)KillmapSpjjnet.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Already answered in a previous thead.
>>>
>>> Peter Jamieson
>>>
>>> "Laurel" <FakeMail(a)Hotmail.com> wrote in message

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Runtime Error 509
Next: manipulating pdf files from vba