From: mariospapa on
Dear all,

I'am a phd researcher on the field of computational mechanics. I want
to solve a linear system of equations [A]
{x} = {b} with PCG method. With the help of a very illuminating book
"Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems" by Yousef Saad, I manage
to write an algorithm in Fortran90 language. But i have one problem...
I store A matrix in symmetric skyline format (upper triangular). I
searched into BLASSM folder of his SPARKIT2 software, but
I found only amux surboutine to perform a matrix-vector multiplication
in case of A is stored in CSR format. Is there any subroutine in
fortran90 for this multiplication [A] {x}, where [A] matrix is stored
in symmetric skyline format (upper triangular)?

Thank you in advance!
From: rudra on
Though I have not checked carefully, you can search lapack
routines...and if you don't find(I am sure this will not be the case),
look at NR(there is also a version in f90)
From: Jovan Cormac on
You might want to check out the Wikipedia article for "Skyline matrix".

Quote: "In addition, the effort of coding skyline Cholesky[3] is about
same as for Cholesky for banded matrices (available for banded matrices,
e.g. in LAPACK; for a prototype skyline code, see [3])."

Where [3] is

"George, Alan and Liu, Joseph W. H., Computer solution of large sparse
positive definite systems, Prentice-Hall Inc., 1981. ISBN 0-13-165274-5"

That should take care of Cholesky decomposition at least. It's quite
possible that this "prototype code" contains multiplication routines as
well, though.

--
-- jovan
From: mariospapa on
I have checked Wikipedia leema "Skyline Matrix" but i haven't the book
mentioned there... Also I have searched LAPACK routines, but i
couldn't find something about this multiplication...It has all the
other multiplications except this one... Is it so difficult?

From: Gib Bogle on
mariospapa wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'am a phd researcher on the field of computational mechanics. I want
> to solve a linear system of equations [A]
> {x} = {b} with PCG method. With the help of a very illuminating book
> "Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems" by Yousef Saad, I manage
> to write an algorithm in Fortran90 language. But i have one problem...
> I store A matrix in symmetric skyline format (upper triangular). I
> searched into BLASSM folder of his SPARKIT2 software, but
> I found only amux surboutine to perform a matrix-vector multiplication
> in case of A is stored in CSR format. Is there any subroutine in
> fortran90 for this multiplication [A] {x}, where [A] matrix is stored
> in symmetric skyline format (upper triangular)?
>
> Thank you in advance!

For topics like this, the newsgroup sci.math.num-analysis is very useful.