From: Jack Black on
Hi, all! I have a quick basic question: if FileSystemWatcher() robust
enough to be used in a 24x7 server-based app? I'm considering tinkering
with a server-based app whose function is to watch for file writes and store
versions of those files in SQL Server (a blind version control system of
sorts). I haven't really used FileSystemWatcher() before and was curious if
other developers thought it to be a robust enough mechanism for what I'm
trying to get to.

Any suggestions for other methods or techniques are welcome, of course!
Thanks for your input!
Jack

From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
As long as you are not using it on remote connections (you have then to use
tricks because the remote connections can be lost temporally), it is in my
perception.

(however what is robust).

In my idea it is created for that 24*7 server based app.

From: Martin H. on
Hello Jack,

if it is robust enough for a server application depends on
how many files you generate. I just wrote two applications:
One using the FileSystemWatcher and one to create 10,000
files in a row. FileSystemWatcher reported an error several
times. So it clearly depends on how many files (per second)
you are dealing with. If it is not too many then I think there
is no problem with FileSystemWatcher.

Best regards,

Martin