From: Volker Lendecke on
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 01:13:56PM +0200, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> I'm using the Samba server 3.0.33 that exports volume from a GPFS. The GPFS
> strongly dislikes unlinking files that are locked (resulting in permission
> denied) using fcntl F_SETLEASE.
>
> It seems that the Samba *sometimes* tries to unlink a file that is oplocked.
> Why? Is this a bug? Why it does not happen always but only sometimes? I have
> strace logs showing:

You're sure that you are not exporting the same file space
via two different nodes simultaneously? In theory, what you
describe should not happen, at least not with current Samba.
I'm not sure about ancient 3.0.33, but with current Samba
this can only happen if you run Samba on the same file
system from two different nodes. This is an invalid
configuration, you need to use the clustered Samba with ctdb
for that.

Volker
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 03:40:32PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> You're sure that you are not exporting the same file space
> via two different nodes simultaneously? In theory, what you
> describe should not happen, at least not with current Samba.
> I'm not sure about ancient 3.0.33, but with current Samba
> this can only happen if you run Samba on the same file
> system from two different nodes. This is an invalid
> configuration, you need to use the clustered Samba with ctdb
> for that.

I have only one samba server for a GPFS volume so I should not need clustered
Samba. Am I right?

--
Luká¹ Hejtmánek
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 04:25:33PM +0200, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 03:40:32PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > You're sure that you are not exporting the same file space
> > via two different nodes simultaneously? In theory, what you
> > describe should not happen, at least not with current Samba.
> > I'm not sure about ancient 3.0.33, but with current Samba
> > this can only happen if you run Samba on the same file
> > system from two different nodes. This is an invalid
> > configuration, you need to use the clustered Samba with ctdb
> > for that.
>
> I have only one samba server for a GPFS volume so I should not need clustered
> Samba. Am I right?

Right. Then it's a bug. You might contact your RPM provider
for support of this old Samba version.

Volker
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 05:20:50PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> Right. Then it's a bug. You might contact your RPM provider
> for support of this old Samba version.

Is Samba 3.3.8 also too old? It suffers from the same problem.

--
Luká¹ Hejtmánek