From: Lew on
Öö Tiib wrote:
> Why you cross posted to several groups? Post into every group
> individually if you need different opinions. There are lot more

Wrong. You describe multi-posting, one of the cardinal sins of
Usenet. Cross-posting is much better.

Do not multi-post. Ever.

Cross-post only when you must, to the least number of relevant groups.

> languages. Each is different. For example java [sic] does not have language
> elements dedicated for const correctness at all i [sic] think. However ....

Wrong again, sort of. Java has 'final' which is sort of similar to
'const'.

--
Lew
From: Öö Tiib on
On 20 juuli, 20:28, Lew <l...(a)lewscanon.com> wrote:
> Öö Tiib wrote:
> > Why you cross posted to several groups? Post into every group
> > individually if you need different opinions. There are lot more
>
> Wrong.  You describe multi-posting, one of the cardinal sins of
> Usenet.  Cross-posting is much better.
>
> Do not multi-post.  Ever.
>
> Cross-post only when you must, to the least number of relevant groups.

OK. Thanks for correcting. I do neither anyway unless replying.
comp.lang.c++ and comp.lang.c++.moderated keep me usually entertained
enough.

> > languages. Each is different. For example java [sic] does not have language
> > elements dedicated for const correctness at all i [sic] think. However ....
>
> Wrong again, sort of.  Java has 'final' which is sort of similar to
> 'const'.

I have not seen much usage of it nor heard much talk about 'final-
correctness' in friendly java teams. C devs talk about const a lot
more. Perhaps that 'final' sort of misses some useful perks of
'const'.
From: Jonathan Lee on
On Jul 20, 2:04 pm, Öö Tiib <oot...(a)hot.ee> wrote:
> On 20 juuli, 20:28, Lew <l...(a)lewscanon.com> wrote:
> > Wrong again, sort of.  Java has 'final' which is sort of similar to
> > 'const'.
>
> I have not seen much usage of it nor heard much talk about 'final-
> correctness' in friendly java teams. C devs talk about const a lot
> more. Perhaps that 'final' sort of misses some useful perks of
> 'const'.

I've never heard of an equivalent of "const correctness" in Java,
but I also don't use it very much. Though, a quick Google search
seems to support the idea that "final" is really nothing like
const-correctness:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_%28Java%29
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1370042/why-is-const-correctness-specific-to-c
http://mannu.livejournal.com/131085.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Const-correctness

--Jonathan
From: Pete Becker on
On 2010-07-20 14:04:15 -0400, �� Tiib said:

> On 20 juuli, 20:28, Lew <l...(a)lewscanon.com> wrote:
>> �� Tiib wrote:
>>> Why you cross posted to several groups? Post into every group
>>> individually if you need different opinions. There are lot more
>>
>> Wrong. �You describe multi-posting, one of the cardinal sins of
>> Usenet. �Cross-posting is much better.
>>
>> Do not multi-post. �Ever.
>>
>> Cross-post only when you must, to the least number of relevant groups.
>
> OK. Thanks for correcting. I do neither anyway unless replying.
> comp.lang.c++ and comp.lang.c++.moderated keep me usually entertained
> enough.
>
>>> languages. Each is different. For example java [sic] does not have language
>>> elements dedicated for const correctness at all i [sic] think. However...
>>
>> Wrong again, sort of. �Java has 'final' which is sort of similar to
>> 'const'.
>
> I have not seen much usage of it nor heard much talk about 'final-
> correctness' in friendly java teams. C devs talk about const a lot
> more. Perhaps that 'final' sort of misses some useful perks of
> 'const'.

Yup. Most of them, in fact.

--
Pete
(www.petebecker.com/tr1book)

From: Alan Gutierrez on
Jonathan Lee wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2:04 pm, �� Tiib <oot...(a)hot.ee> wrote:
>> On 20 juuli, 20:28, Lew <l...(a)lewscanon.com> wrote:
>>> Wrong again, sort of. Java has 'final' which is sort of similar to
>>> 'const'.
>> I have not seen much usage of it nor heard much talk about 'final-
>> correctness' in friendly java teams. C devs talk about const a lot
>> more. Perhaps that 'final' sort of misses some useful perks of
>> 'const'.
>
> I've never heard of an equivalent of "const correctness" in Java,
> but I also don't use it very much. Though, a quick Google search
> seems to support the idea that "final" is really nothing like
> const-correctness:

The equivalent in Java to "const-Correctness", culturally, is "Favor
Immutability". The same sort of conversation taking place here is one
that follows a request to explain the benefits of "Favor Immutability".

I'm new here, and I humbly submit the above observation.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan(a)blogometer.com - http://twitter.com/bigeasy