From: John on
I want to connect two computers with USB 3.0 and run IPv4 over USB.
Seems to be easier said than done. How can I make a PC into a USB
device? I can't find PCI cards or similar that will make the PC act as
a USB device rather than a USB host. Do I have to wait until someone
is kind enough to make a cable with a device-host-device in the
middle? Surely there will soon be such a cable on the market, but I
doubt it will run at 5 Gbps... which is the entire point since I don't
want to invest in 10 Gbps Ethernet of infiband.

Any ideas are much appreciated :)

/Z
From: J G Miller on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:54:48 -0700, John wrote:

> I want to connect two computers with USB 3.0 and run IPv4 over USB.

Why? If the computers are lacking NICs, why not purchase two
USB NICs and connect them with an ethernet cable?

If the two computers have serial ports, why not connect them
with a serial cable and run PPP over the serial cable?

> How can I make a PC into a USB device?

With one of these cables.

<http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=usb+to+usb+transfer+cable&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6664985593825915878&ei=1Fs_TLmVPImZOJHlhdAH&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers>

For transferring data over a USB cable from one PC to another.

> Surely there will soon be such a cable on the market

I am afraid you scored 0/10 for your ability to use web searching
tools.
From: Grinder on
On 7/15/2010 2:07 PM, J G Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:54:48 -0700, John wrote:
>
>> I want to connect two computers with USB 3.0 and run IPv4 over USB.
>
> Why? If the computers are lacking NICs, why not purchase two
> USB NICs and connect them with an ethernet cable?
>
> If the two computers have serial ports, why not connect them
> with a serial cable and run PPP over the serial cable?
>
>> How can I make a PC into a USB device?
>
> With one of these cables.
>
> <http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=usb+to+usb+transfer+cable&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6664985593825915878&ei=1Fs_TLmVPImZOJHlhdAH&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers>
>
> For transferring data over a USB cable from one PC to another.
>
>> Surely there will soon be such a cable on the market
>
> I am afraid you scored 0/10 for your ability to use web searching
> tools.

It is some sort of cosmic justice that people making snotty replies
often are making errors of their own. (My remarks probably qualify me
for the same brand of karmic payback.)

- - - -

To the OP: I have yet to see that device, and have only seen complaints
reported concerning its USB 2.0 analog. I'm with John in wondering why
fast and reliable ethernet connections, which you likely already have
(or can cheaply establish), aren't sufficient.

Nonetheless, I'll credit you that you know what you want and apologize
for taking up your time without advancing you towards that goal.
From: Grinder on
> (My remarks probably qualify me
> for the same brand of karmic payback.)

Surely enough -- I've made my own mistake in my posting...

> To the OP: I have yet to see that device, and have only seen complaints
> reported concerning its USB 2.0 analog. I'm with John in wondering why

"John" should have been "JG" ^^^^
From: John on
On Jul 15, 9:07 pm, J G Miller <mil...(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:54:48 -0700, John wrote:
> > I want to connect two computers with USB 3.0 and run IPv4 over USB.
>
> Why?  If the computers are lacking NICs, why not purchase two
> USB NICs and connect them with an ethernet cable?

Because I want to benefit from the 5 Gbps transfer speed of USB 3.0
without spending a lot of money. Your idea would require me to
purchase 10 pieces of 1 Gbps NICs and put 5 pieces in each computer,
then use a devive driver that bonds them to create one virtual 5 Gbps
ethernet interface.

> If the two computers have serial ports, why not connect them
> with a serial cable and run PPP over the serial cable?

Are you joking?

> > How can I make a PC into a USB device?
>
> With one of these cables.
>
> <http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=usb+to+usb+transfer+ca...>
>
> For transferring data over a USB cable from one PC to another.

My PC USB connector will still act as a USB host. And that cable you
linked to is USB 2.0 which is limited to 480 Mbps -- then it would be
much better to use to gigabit NICs.

> > Surely there will soon be such a cable on the market
>
> I am afraid you scored 0/10 for your ability to use web searching
> tools.

Maybe not.

/Z