From: jslcr1 on
On Feb 24, 10:12 pm, kap...(a)example.com wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 21:32:48 -0500, "Tim Conway"
>
> <tconway_...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
> ><kap...(a)example.com> wrote in message
> >> So everything imported from Money into Quicken o.k.  However my CU
> >> where my checking account resides offers only QIF or CSV downloads and
> >> does not offer direct connection.  Quicken will not take QIF downloads
> >> (Money did just fine, it had to ask me which account to put the
> >> transactions in each time, but always did fine). Do I have any options
> >> for using Quicken to keep track of this checking account (which has 15
> >> years of data)?
>
> >I just saw that Quicken doesn't take QIF imports to checking accounts.  If
> >you had this in Microsoft Money, you should be able to import it into
> >Quicken.
>
> I knew it couldn't import QIF files into checking (tried that) Yes,
> it's in Quicken as of the date I converted my Money file,  but I can't
> update it in Quicken short of entering stuff manually which I haven't
> had to do for 15 years.
>

> >The CU should probably change to OFX or QFX to be up to date.
>
> I agree. WIll talk to them tomorrow. It's hard to see how it can't
> have been an issue with other CU members.  I did see they are
> proposing a merger with a CU that is in the Quicken list of
> instiutions. Probably incentive for them not to waste any programming
> manpower in the interim.
>

> >Here's more info:
> >http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/data-file-management/data/...

Maybe you can convert your file by using this.
http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php

Just make sure you back up or make a copy of your data file before you
make any changes.
From: Tim Conway on

"jslcr1" <jsl1305(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Feb 24, 10:12 pm, kap...(a)example.com wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 21:32:48 -0500, "Tim Conway"
>
> <tconway_...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
> ><kap...(a)example.com> wrote in message
> >> So everything imported from Money into Quicken o.k. However my CU
> >> where my checking account resides offers only QIF or CSV downloads and
> >> does not offer direct connection. Quicken will not take QIF downloads
> >> (Money did just fine, it had to ask me which account to put the
> >> transactions in each time, but always did fine). Do I have any options
> >> for using Quicken to keep track of this checking account (which has 15
> >> years of data)?
>
> >I just saw that Quicken doesn't take QIF imports to checking accounts. If
> >you had this in Microsoft Money, you should be able to import it into
> >Quicken.
>
> I knew it couldn't import QIF files into checking (tried that) Yes,
> it's in Quicken as of the date I converted my Money file, but I can't
> update it in Quicken short of entering stuff manually which I haven't
> had to do for 15 years.
>

> >The CU should probably change to OFX or QFX to be up to date.
>
> I agree. WIll talk to them tomorrow. It's hard to see how it can't
> have been an issue with other CU members. I did see they are
> proposing a merger with a CU that is in the Quicken list of
> instiutions. Probably incentive for them not to waste any programming
> manpower in the interim.
>

> >Here's more info:
> >http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/data-file-management/data/...

>Maybe you can convert your file by using this.
>http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php

>Just make sure you back up or make a copy of your data file before you
>make any changes.

The OP said he has the QIF files but they won't import into a checking
account in Quicken. He needs to convert them to QFX.

From: gk on
as a workaround, try importing QIF file in to dummy cash account, then
copy transactions to your checking account.
Not sure if this works in Q2010, but have been doing this in 2008
version with no problems.

From: Tim Conway on

"gk" <gklatv(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> as a workaround, try importing QIF file in to dummy cash account, then
> copy transactions to your checking account.
> Not sure if this works in Q2010, but have been doing this in 2008
> version with no problems.

Good idea. From what I read from within Q2010 it does allow import to a
cash account.