From: markp on
Hi All,

I have an sinusoidal AC signal between 30V and 160V AC and between 200 and
600Hz in frequency, and I need an opto-isolated zero crossing detector. The
AC is actually from a transformer output but I don't want to add any more
windings to it. I do however have a centre tap on the AC output. Does anyone
have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark.

From: Spehro Pefhany on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 01:53:54 +0100, the renowned "markp"
<map.nospam(a)f2s.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have an sinusoidal AC signal between 30V and 160V AC and between 200 and
>600Hz in frequency, and I need an opto-isolated zero crossing detector. The
>AC is actually from a transformer output but I don't want to add any more
>windings to it. I do however have a centre tap on the AC output. Does anyone
>have any suggestions?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Mark.

Maybe a bridge rectifier, resistor or FET current limiter, and an
optocoupler. Depends a bit on how close to the zero you want to go
(should the pulses vary in width with voltage, for example, and at
what voltage threshold should the output go "true").

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff(a)interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
From: Joerg on
markp wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an sinusoidal AC signal between 30V and 160V AC and between 200 and
> 600Hz in frequency, and I need an opto-isolated zero crossing detector. The
> AC is actually from a transformer output but I don't want to add any more
> windings to it. I do however have a centre tap on the AC output. Does anyone
> have any suggestions?

Why opto? Can't you use a modem transformer that gets a divided-down
signal at the input and has the proper isolation specs? Then use a
regular zero-crosser of your liking on the others side where things
don't have to run isolated.

From a size point of few such a signal transformer and an optocoupler
aren't grossly different. A little, maybe.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: John Larkin on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 01:53:54 +0100, "markp" <map.nospam(a)f2s.com>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have an sinusoidal AC signal between 30V and 160V AC and between 200 and
>600Hz in frequency, and I need an opto-isolated zero crossing detector. The
>AC is actually from a transformer output but I don't want to add any more
>windings to it. I do however have a centre tap on the AC output. Does anyone
>have any suggestions?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Mark.

Ooh, you could use a variant of one of my favorite trick circuits, the
totem-pole optoisolator:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/ZCD.JPG

John

From: krw on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 01:53:54 +0100, "markp" <map.nospam(a)f2s.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have an sinusoidal AC signal between 30V and 160V AC and between 200 and
>600Hz in frequency, and I need an opto-isolated zero crossing detector. The
>AC is actually from a transformer output but I don't want to add any more
>windings to it. I do however have a centre tap on the AC output. Does anyone
>have any suggestions?

How close to "zero" does it have to detect? The output has to be isolated
from both the primary and secondary?

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: sounds idiotic to me