From: Unknown on
Hi Everyone,

I have trying to setup a 10G RAC to 10G RAC physical standby dataguard
configuration and then put it iunder grid control as you cannot create a
physical standby RAC database in the Grid Control.

I have looked at the Oracle manuals, all the dataguard and dataguard broker
10g manuals, the high availablity manual.

I have searched metalink, read books, one of which was : -

Oracle Database 10g High Availability
Matthew Hart

I am using ocfs on linux, I tried ASM but there was a bug with duplicate for
standby in 10.1.0.1.3, which I think is fixed in the next patchset.

I have raised 10 or more Oracle tar's on this and mostly these have taken a
long time to resolve and often not to my satisfaction. Nowhere can I find
any examples on any details on how this is setup or what specfically the
parameters mean and how the receiving and applying standby instances work.

After many weeks of pain and trial and error I now have it working.

Can anybody help me here? Any books, docs, hints, that explain this in
detail?

My intention is not to upset anyone in this newsgroup, but merely to
understand the parameters and working of Oracle RAC in a dataguard
enviroment.

Many thanks,

Unknown.

From: DA Morgan on
Unknown wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have trying to setup a 10G RAC to 10G RAC physical standby dataguard
> configuration and then put it iunder grid control as you cannot create a
> physical standby RAC database in the Grid Control.
>
> I have looked at the Oracle manuals, all the dataguard and dataguard broker
> 10g manuals, the high availablity manual.
>
> I have searched metalink, read books, one of which was : -
>
> Oracle Database 10g High Availability
> Matthew Hart
>
> I am using ocfs on linux, I tried ASM but there was a bug with duplicate for
> standby in 10.1.0.1.3, which I think is fixed in the next patchset.
>
> I have raised 10 or more Oracle tar's on this and mostly these have taken a
> long time to resolve and often not to my satisfaction. Nowhere can I find
> any examples on any details on how this is setup or what specfically the
> parameters mean and how the receiving and applying standby instances work.
>
> After many weeks of pain and trial and error I now have it working.
>
> Can anybody help me here? Any books, docs, hints, that explain this in
> detail?
>
> My intention is not to upset anyone in this newsgroup, but merely to
> understand the parameters and working of Oracle RAC in a dataguard
> enviroment.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Unknown.

Send me your contact information off-line.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org
From: Unknown on
Thanks, I have contacted you offline.

Many thanks,

Unknown.

From: hpuxrac on
The Matt Hart book is kind of ten thousand foot view while it skims
across many topics it is not something to work from I don't believe.

The manuals from Oracle are where you need to spend your time.

Working with oracle support is a long frustrating and usually futile
approach. The main emphasis of oracle support is not to fix things or
to explain things but to close TARs as quickly as they can.

What doc's from oracle have you been looking at that are not helpful?

RAC is really a non player in what you are trying to do I believe.
First get expert in setting up and administering a standby database
without RAC, then bring it into the picture as you gain experience.

Keep documenting stuff as you are working on it and progressing so you
don't forget what frustrated you or confused you and so that you spend
less time doing it the second and third time.

From: Unknown on
Hi,

Thanks for you info here, usefull I agree with your approach here.

I have done a single instance to single instance physical standby
database. I'm happy with that setup, with 9i and 10G.

What I am strugglng with is the RAC physical standby database setup.

Things like, the log_archive_dest_n parameters, how should they be set for
RAC, fal_server, fal_client, etc.....in a multiple instance scenario. What
happens when the recovery instance dies etc.......

I reference the docs : -

Oracleý Data Guard Broker
10g Release 1 (10.1)
Part Number B10822-01

Oracleý Data Guard Concepts and Administration
10g Release 1 (10.1)
Part Number B10823-01

Oracleý Database High Availability Architecture and Best Practices
10g Release 1 (10.1)
Part Number B10726-02

They do not give me detail information regarding a RAC database.

Again, many thanks,

Unknown.