From: megalomaniacs4u on
On 10 Nov 2009, 12:42, Bruce <brucemcgill....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    Is Oracle 10g RAC certified on IBM DS 3400 storage with RH Linux
> and ASM for database files? I thought it was DS 4700 and onwards that
> was certified for Oracle RAC?
>
> Best Regards,
> Bruce

I've been running 11g RAC on IBM DS 3400 with Centos 5 since june 2008
without issue.
From: joel garry on
On Jan 4, 8:30 am, megalomaniacs4u <megalomaniac...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 Nov 2009, 12:42, Bruce <brucemcgill....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> >    Is Oracle 10g RAC certified on IBM DS 3400 storage with RH Linux
> > and ASM for database files? I thought it was DS 4700 and onwards that
> > was certified for Oracle RAC?
>
> > Best Regards,
> > Bruce
>
> I've been running 11g RAC on IBM DS 3400 with Centos 5 since june 2008
> without issue.

How do you handle the "unsupported" issue? (I know what Centos 5 is,
just curious about the justification of it and if you have other
supported configurations. If my understanding of Oracle's support
position is correct, I don't agree with Oracle in this type of
config).

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/04/student-seeks-new-trial-in-music-downloading-case/
From: hpuxrac on
On Jan 4, 6:53 pm, joel garry <joel-ga...(a)home.com> wrote:

snip

> > I've been running 11g RAC on IBM DS 3400 with Centos 5 since june 2008
> > without issue.
>
> How do you handle the "unsupported" issue?  (I know what Centos 5 is,
> just curious about the justification of it and if you have other
> supported configurations.  If my understanding of Oracle's support
> position is correct, I don't agree with Oracle in this type of
> config).

The "without issue" remark leaves open to interpretation how many
times ( if any ) he has used or needed to get any support from Oracle
related to this configuration.

I have pretty much given up using Oracle support except as a self
service depot. That's pretty close to the experience many of my local
DBA peers are reporting.

Sure you need a support contract to get patches etc. Does that mean
that you need a certified config? Probably not.
From: joel garry on
On Jan 4, 4:39 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 6:53 pm, joel garry <joel-ga...(a)home.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > > I've been running 11g RAC on IBM DS 3400 with Centos 5 since june 2008
> > > without issue.
>
> > How do you handle the "unsupported" issue?  (I know what Centos 5 is,
> > just curious about the justification of it and if you have other
> > supported configurations.  If my understanding of Oracle's support
> > position is correct, I don't agree with Oracle in this type of
> > config).
>
> The "without issue" remark leaves open to interpretation how many
> times ( if any ) he has used or needed to get any support from Oracle
> related to this configuration.
>
> I have pretty much given up using Oracle support except as a self
> service depot.  That's pretty close to the experience many of my local
> DBA peers are reporting.
>
> Sure you need a support contract to get patches etc.  Does that mean
> that you need a certified config?  Probably not.

In the past I've taken the position this is like saying you probably
don't need insurance on your car (in other words, stupid big-time).
However, I'm open to new ideas in the new paradigm.

I admit, I have a sour view on how well people evaluate risk, even
people trained in such things.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/photos/galleries/2009/dec/30/2009-balloon-parade/3950/
From: hpuxrac on
On Jan 5, 12:25 pm, joel garry <joel-ga...(a)home.com> wrote:

snip

> > Sure you need a support contract to get patches etc.  Does that mean
> > that you need a certified config?  Probably not.
>
> In the past I've taken the position this is like saying you probably
> don't need insurance on your car (in other words, stupid big-time).
> However, I'm open to new ideas in the new paradigm.
>
> I admit, I have a sour view on how well people evaluate risk, even
> people trained in such things.

Don't get me wrong I am putting out the "probably not" as a
possibility.

All my systems run on Oracle certified hardware ... EMC storage ...
etc.