From: The Magnet on

Has anyone used some of the Oracle FGA? We're needing to enable some
auditing. I'm having trouble getting it to work. Reading all the
documentation on this is taking a while as there are so many options.

We're running 10g R2 Enterprise on CentOS. We want to basically audit
everything that 5 users do. Can anyone help me with the command
syntax for this? I tried this to spool it to a file with no luck:

ALTER SYSTEM SET audit_file_dest=/u05/NI00/audit;
audit all by customer,product,data_holder,mutual_fund,orders by
access;

Thanks.
From: John Hurley on
On Feb 22, 10:04 am, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:

snip

> Has anyone used some of the Oracle FGA?  We're needing to enable some
> auditing.  I'm having trouble getting it to work.  Reading all the
> documentation on this is taking a while as there are so many options.
>
> We're running 10g R2 Enterprise on CentOS.  We want to basically audit
> everything that 5 users do.  Can anyone help me with the command
> syntax for this?  I tried this to spool it to a file with no luck:
>
> ALTER SYSTEM SET audit_file_dest=/u05/NI00/audit;
> audit all by customer,product,data_holder,mutual_fund,orders by
> access;
>
> Thanks.

It would probably help if you supplied an error message.

Did you ever hear of putting single quotes around parameters when
doing an alter system?

Lots of examples around the internet of how to do it ...
From: The Magnet on
On Feb 22, 9:18 am, John Hurley <johnbhur...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 10:04 am, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > Has anyone used some of the Oracle FGA?  We're needing to enable some
> > auditing.  I'm having trouble getting it to work.  Reading all the
> > documentation on this is taking a while as there are so many options.
>
> > We're running 10g R2 Enterprise on CentOS.  We want to basically audit
> > everything that 5 users do.  Can anyone help me with the command
> > syntax for this?  I tried this to spool it to a file with no luck:
>
> > ALTER SYSTEM SET audit_file_dest=/u05/NI00/audit;
> > audit all by customer,product,data_holder,mutual_fund,orders by
> > access;
>
> > Thanks.
>
> It would probably help if you supplied an error message.
>
> Did you ever hear of putting single quotes around parameters when
> doing an alter system?
>
> Lots of examples around the internet of how to do it ...

Actually there was no error message, Oracle took the commands. But
after bouncing the database, nothing appeared in the auditing view or
in the file which was supposed to be on disk. So, I'm assuming that I
did something incorrectly.

I know there are lots of examples, I'm just trying to find the right
one so I do not have to keep bouncing the database again and again
until I get it right.

Thanks
From: The Magnet on
On Feb 22, 9:18 am, John Hurley <johnbhur...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 10:04 am, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > Has anyone used some of the Oracle FGA?  We're needing to enable some
> > auditing.  I'm having trouble getting it to work.  Reading all the
> > documentation on this is taking a while as there are so many options.
>
> > We're running 10g R2 Enterprise on CentOS.  We want to basically audit
> > everything that 5 users do.  Can anyone help me with the command
> > syntax for this?  I tried this to spool it to a file with no luck:
>
> > ALTER SYSTEM SET audit_file_dest=/u05/NI00/audit;
> > audit all by customer,product,data_holder,mutual_fund,orders by
> > access;
>
> > Thanks.
>
> It would probably help if you supplied an error message.
>
> Did you ever hear of putting single quotes around parameters when
> doing an alter system?
>
> Lots of examples around the internet of how to do it ...

Well, I figure this will probably do everything I want, hopefully
excluding SYSTEM / SYS

ALTER SYSTEM SET audit_file_dest='/u05/NI00/audit';
ALTER SYSTEM set AUDIT_TRAIL = db,extended scope=spfile;
SHUTDOWN
STARTUP
AUDIT ALL BY ACCESS;