From: The Magnet on

Hi,

Previously one of our DBA's must have turned on auditing. We get this
error in RMAN:

RMAN-00571:
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS
===============
RMAN-00571:
RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed
RMAN-04005: error from target database:
ORA-09925: Unable to create audit trail file
Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory

However, it looks like auditing is turned off:

SQL> show parameter audit

NAME TYPE VALUE
------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
audit_file_dest string /opt/oracle/product/
ora10/rdbms/audit
audit_sys_operations boolean FALSE
audit_syslog_level string
audit_trail string NONE

Any thoughts? I'm looking through the Oracle docs buy cannot find
anything on this being that it shows auditing is turned off. Because
there were so many files being created we removed the directory. But
we want to stop the auditing altogether.

Thanks
From: gazzag on
On 16 Mar, 13:21, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Previously one of our DBA's must have turned on auditing.  We get this
> error in RMAN:
>
> RMAN-00571:
> RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS
> ===============
> RMAN-00571:
> RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed
> RMAN-04005: error from target database:
> ORA-09925: Unable to create audit trail file
> Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
> However, it looks like auditing is turned off:
>
> SQL> show parameter audit
>
> NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
> ------------------------------------ -----------
> ------------------------------
> audit_file_dest                      string      /opt/oracle/product/
> ora10/rdbms/audit
> audit_sys_operations                 boolean     FALSE
> audit_syslog_level                   string
> audit_trail                          string      NONE
>
> Any thoughts?  I'm looking through the Oracle docs buy cannot find
> anything on this being that it shows auditing is turned off.  Because
> there were so many files being created we removed the directory.  But
> we want to stop the auditing altogether.
>
> Thanks

Are you sure that you're checking the right database? The error is:

RMAN-04005: error from target database:
ORA-09925: Unable to create audit trail file
Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory

Which database are you running the "show parameter" command on? The
error appears to be coming from your RMAN repository.

HTH
-g
From: Eric on
gazzag <gareth(a)jamms.org> wrote:
> On 16 Mar, 13:21, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
>

> Are you sure that you're checking the right database? The error is:
>
> RMAN-04005: error from target database:
> ORA-09925: Unable to create audit trail file
> Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
> Which database are you running the "show parameter" command on? The
> error appears to be coming from your RMAN repository.
>
> HTH
> -g

"error from target database"?? This is the database to be backed up, not
the repository. The OP may not even have a repository.

What ve definitely does not have is a writable directory at the location
specified by the audit_file_dest parameter.

Nothing to do with turning auditing on or off either.

Eric
From: The Magnet on
On Mar 16, 10:54 am, Eric <e...(a)deptj.eu> wrote:
> gazzag <gar...(a)jamms.org> wrote:
> > On 16 Mar, 13:21, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
>
> > Are you sure that you're checking the right database?  The error is:
>
> >  RMAN-04005: error from target database:
> >  ORA-09925: Unable to create audit trail file
> >  Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
> > Which database are you running the "show parameter" command on?  The
> > error appears to be coming from your RMAN repository.
>
> > HTH
> > -g
>
> "error from target database"?? This is the database to be backed up, not
> the repository. The OP may not even have a repository.
>
> What ve definitely does not have is a writable directory at the location
> specified by the audit_file_dest parameter.
>
> Nothing to do with turning auditing on or off either.
>
> Eric

Well, the directory where all the audit files are appearing is not the
default Oracle audit directory. So, he changed the location when he
enabled auditing. We never had this before he switched the auditing
on and off. We are using a control file, not a repository.

Is it possible that RMAN needs some sort of change also? And, the
database has been bounced since then.

Worst case, put it back and remove the files daily, do not want that
solution though.

Arthur

From: Eric on
On 2010-03-16, The Magnet <art(a)unsu.com> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 10:54�am, Eric <e...(a)deptj.eu> wrote:
>> gazzag <gar...(a)jamms.org> wrote:
>> > On 16 Mar, 13:21, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Are you sure that you're checking the right database? �The error is:
>>
>> > �RMAN-04005: error from target database:
>> > �ORA-09925: Unable to create audit trail file
>> > �Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory
>>
>> > Which database are you running the "show parameter" command on? �The
>> > error appears to be coming from your RMAN repository.
>>
>> > HTH
>> > -g
>>
>> "error from target database"?? This is the database to be backed up, not
>> the repository. The OP may not even have a repository.
>>
>> What ve definitely does not have is a writable directory at the location
>> specified by the audit_file_dest parameter.
>>
>> Nothing to do with turning auditing on or off either.
>>
>> Eric
>
> Well, the directory where all the audit files are appearing is not the
> default Oracle audit directory. So, he changed the location when he
> enabled auditing. We never had this before he switched the auditing
> on and off.

Audit files are written to the directory specified in the
audit_file_dest parameter. Changing it simply means that the same files
are written to the new location.

> We are using a control file, not a repository.

As I suspected.

> Is it possible that RMAN needs some sort of change also? And, the
> database has been bounced since then.

No, RMAN is just showing evidence of a general problem. There are
presumably similar errors in the database alert log.

> Worst case, put it back and remove the files daily, do not want that
> solution though.

Not worst case, only case! You originally said that you had looked at
the docs, but this obviously did not include

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14266/cfgaudit.htm#BABCFIHB

where it says, among other things, "Regardless of whether database
auditing is enabled, Oracle Database always audits certain
database-related operations and writes them to the operating system
audit file." So you are stuck with having that directory.

It is possible that the auditing experiment left lots of files there,
but now that auditing is turned off you should not actually be getting
enough files written to the audit directory to need daily cleanup
unless you are using "/ as sysdba" for routine work rather than only
when absolutely necessary.

And what's wrong with having to clean up anyway? - write a cron job and
forget it.

Actually I don't usually bother because the volume is so low, I just
check that directory (among others) if the filesystem throws a low-space
alarm.

Eric