From: NoOp on
On 04/20/2010 06:53 AM, John W Kennedy wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2010, at 6:42 AM, Sean Carlos wrote:
>

>> It's free here:
>>
>> http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/
>>
>> "Get it now FREE" button
>>
>> but bait and switch, $90 here:
>>
>> http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/get.jsp
>
> $9000, actually, since they have a minimum order of 100.
>
> They're also charging, also with minimum orders, for what they call "Oracle Open Office".

Wow, you're correct:
<https://shop.oracle.com/pls/ostore/product?p1=oracleoffice&sc=ocom_openoffice>

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Larry Gusaas on
On 2010/04/20 1:12 PM NoOp wrote:
> On 04/20/2010 06:53 AM, John W Kennedy wrote:
>
>> On Apr 20, 2010, at 6:42 AM, Sean Carlos wrote:
>>

>>> It's free here:
>>>
>>> http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/
>>>
>>> "Get it now FREE" button
>>>
>>> but bait and switch, $90 here:
>>>
>>> http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/get.jsp
>>>
>> $9000, actually, since they have a minimum order of 100.
>>
>> They're also charging, also with minimum orders, for what they call "Oracle Open Office".
>>

> Wow, you're correct:
> <https://shop.oracle.com/pls/ostore/product?p1=oracleoffice&sc=ocom_openoffice>

Actually, only partially correct. There is a Oracle Open Office Standard
Edition
(Perpetual License) that has a minimum quantity of 1 and sells for
C$56.00 (probably US$50.00)

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 04/20/2010 12:52 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> On 2010/04/20 1:12 PM NoOp wrote:

>>> $9000, actually, since they have a minimum order of 100.
>>>
>>> They're also charging, also with minimum orders, for what they call "Oracle Open Office".
>>>

>> Wow, you're correct:
>> <https://shop.oracle.com/pls/ostore/product?p1=oracleoffice&sc=ocom_openoffice>
>>

> Actually, only partially correct. There is a Oracle Open Office Standard
> Edition
> (Perpetual License) that has a minimum quantity of 1 and sells for
> C$56.00 (probably US$50.00)

That's just StarOffice with a shiny new name; other than that nothing's
changed as they charged for SO before. However, if you want the ODF
plugin, here's the minimum:

* Oracle ODF Plug-in for Microsoft Office (Application User; Perpetual)
* $9,000.00
* Quantity: 100
*
First Year Support $1,980.00

Total items: 1 $10,980.00

So it's actually $11K because first year support seems to be required;
you can't opt out of the support part on the order page.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Alexandro Colorado on
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Gordon Burgess-Parker
<gbplinux(a)gbpcomputing.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/04/2010 21:46, NoOp wrote:
>>
>> However, if you want the ODF plugin, here's the minimum:
>>
>>     * Oracle ODF Plug-in for Microsoft Office (Application User;
>> Perpetual)
>>     * $9,000.00
>>     * Quantity: 100.
>>     *
>>       First Year Support       $1,980.00
>>
>> Total items: 1 $10,980.00
>>
>> So it's actually $11K because first year support seems to be required;
>> you can't opt out of the support part on the order page.
>>

> That's a REALLY REALLY STUPID marketing decision. Seeing that the MS Office
> 2007 SP2 "implementation" of ODF is broken, the only way of ensuring that an
> ODF document opens correctly in MS Office 2007 is by using the plugin.
> Do they WANT to convert people from MS Office or what?

> For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

I think their mind is on be able to price something to sell to their
clients. AFAIK I think they are choosing OOo adoption over ODF
adoption.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 04/20/2010 01:59 PM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> That's a REALLY REALLY STUPID marketing decision. Seeing that the MS
> Office 2007 SP2 "implementation" of ODF is broken, the only way of
> ensuring that an ODF document opens correctly in MS Office 2007 is by
> using the plugin.
> Do they WANT to convert people from MS Office or what?

Playing the devils advocate... perhaps it's just the opposite? Perhaps
they are saying that if you want proper ODF then use OpenOffice.org (or
the newly branded 'Oracle Office' instead & if you want to keep using
MSO w/proper ODF then we have the solution, but it will cost you? Don't
know, I'm not a marketing guy.

That said, seems pretty dumb to not offer as a single user license. And
delving a little further, I found that you can reduce your 100 seat
license by selecting only a one year option instead of perpetual. A
single year works out to:

* Oracle ODF Plug-in for Microsoft Office (Application User; 1 Year)
* $1,800.00
* Quantity: 100
*
First Year Support $1,980.00

Total items: 1 $3,780.00

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org