From: mike moller on
Hi Josh

some years ago Sun intervened in the OO saga and there was a stable period
during which they offered the product for a fee with support services
primarily aimed at the corporate market. Sun also open sourced the code
which became the OO.org offering the development of which Sun supported
strongly

In more recent times Sun was taken over by Oracle and subject to some
suspicion and occasional hostility from the open source community Oracle has
continued to fund the role that was formerly Sun's

where is all this heading in the longer term? Aha! no body knows and he
ain't telling :-)
--
Mike Moller
Lallybroch Alpacas