From: JL on
On my quest to make my Orange BlackBerry more usable I have got into the
engineering menu on the BB which lets me view information about the cell I'm
connected to, and neighbouring it.

Is there anyway I can relate the cell ID e.g. 20321, 22650, 22651, 38578 to
a reference on Sitefinder? I see the Vodafone eForum happy to look these up
for people but Orange on 150 weren't so interested.

Is there any pattern to these numbers? E.g. when I use the Voda SIM I get
952 as a cell, which I understand to be cell 2 on site 95 - a site I can see
on Sitefinder. Similarly, I have 35320 - omnidirectional site 3532 - a site
I can also see on Sitefinder.
The Orange numbers don't bear any resemblance though. The only thing I
could think of was that older sites started with a lower number compared to
the newer ones.

I have found that locking the handset to 1 cell only does help somewhat with
keeping a call from dropping. Having said that, selecting a particular cell
before making a call is irritating to say the least!

--
JL

From: Andy Burns on
JL wrote:

> Is there anyway I can relate the cell ID e.g. 20321, 22650, 22651, 38578
> to a reference on Sitefinder?

Dunno about directly to sidefinder, but there are "backdoor" methods to
get grid co-ordinates from a cell-id out of the google maps API, you
could probably tie that to sitefinder coordinates ...