From: Joe on
I have a new Gateway computer and I have an error in device manager that I
can not get rid of. It is in Unknown Device--Other Devices and it has a
yellow question mark there--error code 28. I have uninstalled the device
many times but it keeps trying to install with hardware wizard many
times--however, I do not even know what the device is because it does not
tell me the device name. Gateway tech support can not seem to help me
either. Everything seems to work fine on the computer, at this time, but I
would like to know how to find out what the device is that is gving the
error and how to fix it. Is it a USB device? An internal flaw? Or do I
just ignore it? Is there a way to detect and fix this error? Please
Help!!
Thanks
Joe

From: paulmd on

Joe wrote:
> I have a new Gateway computer and I have an error in device manager that I
> can not get rid of. It is in Unknown Device--Other Devices and it has a
> yellow question mark there--error code 28. I have uninstalled the device
> many times but it keeps trying to install with hardware wizard many
> times--however, I do not even know what the device is because it does not
> tell me the device name. Gateway tech support can not seem to help me
> either. Everything seems to work fine on the computer, at this time, but I
> would like to know how to find out what the device is that is gving the
> error and how to fix it. Is it a USB device? An internal flaw? Or do I
> just ignore it? Is there a way to detect and fix this error? Please
> Help!!
> Thanks
> Joe

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp

See if they offer a chipset driver. It could also be attached to one of
your other devices.

But If it ain't broke.....

From: Agent-Viper007 on
I would also check in your BIOS settings and see if any intergrated devices
such as a smart card reader or other internal device is enabled but not
installed . I know on many systems i have seen things such as compact flash
readers that were onboard hardware were enabled and not installed and it
shows up as unknown hardware and gives a erro code 28. just something to look
in to .

From: Joe on
I did a little more research on the device and in details in hardware
manager it says it could be ACPI\AWY0001 what is that? And what can I do to
fix the unknow device?

From: Joe on
Where in th Bios can I find this place to check and fix the erros I am
getting?
"Agent-Viper007" <AgentViper007(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would also check in your BIOS settings and see if any intergrated devices
> such as a smart card reader or other internal device is enabled but not
> installed . I know on many systems i have seen things such as compact
> flash
> readers that were onboard hardware were enabled and not installed and it
> shows up as unknown hardware and gives a erro code 28. just something to
> look
> in to .
>

> "Joe" wrote:
>
>> I have a new Gateway computer and I have an error in device manager that
>> can not get rid of. It is in Unknown Device--Other Devices and it has a
>> yellow question mark there--error code 28. I have uninstalled the device
>> many times but it keeps trying to install with hardware wizard many
>> times--however, I do not even know what the device is because it does not
>> tell me the device name. Gateway tech support can not seem to help me
>> either. Everything seems to work fine on the computer, at this time, but
>> would like to know how to find out what the device is that is gving the
>> error and how to fix it. Is it a USB device? An internal flaw? Or do I
>> just ignore it? Is there a way to detect and fix this error? Please
>> Help!!
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>

 |  Next  |  Last