From: Dewey on
I don't know if this the place to ask this. I've googled it to death and
cannot find a solution although I have seen others ask this question.
Here it is:

When I shutdown Windows, I get a "cannot stop Outlook" message. I have
to choose "stop now" for shutdown to progress.

Specs:
Toshiba Satellite L305 laptop
WinXP/SP3
IE8
Office 2003, SP3

Outlook is set to minimize to the system tray and my outlook profile is
stored on a secondary partition of the main harddrive. This is because I
clone the primary partition weekly to guard against burnouts. Since
Outlook calendar (and sometimes contacts) change more than once a week,
I store the .pst file on a separate partition which is backed up daily.
I am wondering if it is this that prevents WinXP from shutting down
Outlook. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

--
"You are, number 6"
- The New Number 2
From: neo on
You need to review your 3rd party applications and find the one that is
stopping Outlook from closing properly. While this list isn't inclusive of
all things that can cause Outlook to not close, it should give you a hint at
things to look at.

1) Adobe Acrobat (not the reader, but the full version)
2) Security software (antivirus, antispam)
3) Fax software
4) Sync software for mobile devices
5) Instant messenger apps

From: Dewey on
"neo" <neo(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> You need to review your 3rd party applications and find the one that
> is stopping Outlook from closing properly. While this list isn't
> inclusive of all things that can cause Outlook to not close, it should
> give you a hint at things to look at.
>
> 1) Adobe Acrobat (not the reader, but the full version)
> 2) Security software (antivirus, antispam)
> 3) Fax software
> 4) Sync software for mobile devices
> 5) Instant messenger apps
>

> "Dewey" <dewey3kNOSPAM(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I don't know if this the place to ask this. I've googled it to death
>>and
>> cannot find a solution although I have seen others ask this question.
>> Here it is:
>>
>> When I shutdown Windows, I get a "cannot stop Outlook" message. I
>> have to choose "stop now" for shutdown to progress.
>>
>> Specs:
>> Toshiba Satellite L305 laptop
>> WinXP/SP3
>> IE8
>> Office 2003, SP3
>>
>> Outlook is set to minimize to the system tray and my outlook profile
>> is stored on a secondary partition of the main harddrive. This is
>> because I clone the primary partition weekly to guard against
>> burnouts. Since Outlook calendar (and sometimes contacts) change more
>> than once a week, I store the .pst file on a separate partition which
>> is backed up daily. I am wondering if it is this that prevents WinXP
>> from shutting down Outlook. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>>
>> --
>> "You are, number 6"
>> - The New Number 2

Don't know if this is just coincidence but shortly after I posted the
above, I got a message to update Outlook Connector. The automatic update
failed (tried it 3 times) so I downloaded the 4/20/10 release of
Connector and installed it. That seems to have cured the problem of
Outlook not shutting down with Windows. At least for now.

--
"You are, number 6"
- The New Number 2
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

> Don't know if this is just coincidence but shortly after I posted the
> above, I got a message to update Outlook Connector. The automatic update
> failed (tried it 3 times) so I downloaded the 4/20/10 release of
> Connector and installed it. That seems to have cured the problem of
> Outlook not shutting down with Windows. At least for now.

In my opinion, it is poor practice to have applications such as Outlook that
rely on a database running when you shut Windows down. I think you should
explicitly close them first, then shut Windows down.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Dewey on
"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" <tillman1952(a)yahoo.com> wrote in

> "Dewey" <dewey3kNOSPAM(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Don't know if this is just coincidence but shortly after I posted the
>> above, I got a message to update Outlook Connector. The automatic
>> update failed (tried it 3 times) so I downloaded the 4/20/10 release
>> of Connector and installed it. That seems to have cured the problem
>> of Outlook not shutting down with Windows. At least for now.
>
> In my opinion, it is poor practice to have applications such as
> Outlook that rely on a database running when you shut Windows down. I
> think you should explicitly close them first, then shut Windows down.

I don't disagree but there are times when it is minimized to the system
tray and it is easy to forget.

--
"You are, number 6"
- The New Number 2