From: olddoc on
In my windows 7 64 bit PC outlook 2007 had been running fine. A week ago I
had a lockup and a corrupt ntfs fixked with chkdsk c:/f. I also installed
quicktime (not itunes) and since then I can not start outlook, but word
starts fine. I can start outlook.exe /safe, but it doesn't remember what I
tell it: Each time I check to download the troubleshooting file from MSFT and
each time I start, the trust center box to download the file is uninstalled.
I uninstalled office, rebooted, and installed office. Same problem. Updated
to office SP1 and same problem. I am able to sync my calendar to a Blackberry
and I can see the calendar in /safe mode.
I wonder if there is a permission issue with the filesystem. Why won't
outlook remember that I want it to download MSFT diagnostic file?
Microsoft office diagnostics run and don't find anything.
Using the uninstaller to "repair" also didn't help.
Here is the latest entry in the computer's error log.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 1/3/2010 8:03:49 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 12.0.6514.5000, time stamp:
0x4a89dc70
Faulting module name: mssphtb.dll, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp:
0x4a5bda5c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00009449
Faulting process id: 0x1020
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca8cd9c5f73e31
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\mssphtb.dll
Report Id: 03c87843-f8cd-11de-817c-001731d64eb1
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>4790</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>crikey</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>OUTLOOK.EXE</Data>
<Data>12.0.6514.5000</Data>
<Data>4a89dc70</Data>
<Data>mssphtb.dll</Data>
<Data>7.0.7600.16385</Data>
<Data>4a5bda5c</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00009449</Data>
<Data>1020</Data>
<Data>01ca8cd9c5f73e31</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\system32\mssphtb.dll</Data>
<Data>03c87843-f8cd-11de-817c-001731d64eb1</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
safe mode doesn't load addins and other support files and it won't save
files, so its not going to remember anything. Have you tried office
diagnostics? You can start it from any program in the office suite. Since
mssphtb is ms search, its likely damaged and office diagnostics or a repair
(from add/remove programs) should fix it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: olddoc on
I did run the office diagnostics and it found no errors.
I see in service management that "windows search" is started automatically
and is running.
I just tried right clicking Office Enterprise in control panel/programs and
selected change/repair. I tried to repair but I got "MS Office Enterprise
2007 configuration did not complete successfully , an unexpected error has
occurred."

If this .dll is related to search, could some hidden file be corrupted: I
did have a crash which caused errors in my filesystem. chkdsk on startup did
find errors in the bitmap in the filesystem and made corrections. I set
checkdsk to run again on reboot after the errors were fixed and at this point
it finds no errors in the fs.
Perhaps some search table or file somewhere is corrupted? Is there a way to
regenerate the files that this dll uses?

From: olddoc on
Additional:
I tried regsvr32 for mssphtb but it didn't work.

I set turned off windows search and disabled it in the services applet but
Outlook still had the same crash in the same module.
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
The index could be corrupt. go to control panel, indexing and rebuild the
Did you run scanpst?