From: Dan in MN Dan in on
yesterday I installed some updates that I was not sure if I needed (family
related drivers primarily) and after installing them my outlook will not
open, the mousepad no longer works, the sound stop working (but seems to be
back) and the windows 7 functionality has changed (I no longer get the little
window to pop up when I have different programs running - it is merely a line
saying what the program is). I tried to repair the program and it did not
work. When I looked for the Outlook.exe file the only one I found was the
Outlook.exe/manifest and that does not seem to do the same job.

My concern is if I have to reinstall I only have the microsoft business
upgrade and have run into problems having to install that again....

i know this is more than one question...any help much appreciated
From: Gordon on

"Dan in MN" <Dan in MN(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> yesterday I installed some updates that I was not sure if I needed (family
> related drivers primarily) and after installing them my outlook will not
> open, the mousepad no longer works, the sound stop working (but seems to
> be
> back) and the windows 7 functionality has changed (I no longer get the
> little
> window to pop up when I have different programs running - it is merely a
> line
> saying what the program is). I tried to repair the program and it did not
> work. When I looked for the Outlook.exe file the only one I found was the
> Outlook.exe/manifest and that does not seem to do the same job.
>
> My concern is if I have to reinstall I only have the microsoft business
> upgrade and have run into problems having to install that again....
>
> i know this is more than one question...any help much appreciated

Do a System Restore to the day BEFORE the updates.
And note - do NOT use Windows updates to get hardware driver updates - go to
the manufacturer's website for updated drivers.