From: wjb on
Hi,

I'm having a couple of problems since installing Outlook Connector. I'm
running Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 with IE8 and Office 2007 Ultimate.

Prior to installing Outlook Connector, Outlook and Hotmail were always
synchronized. If I deleted an email from Outlook or moved it to a local
folder, the email was removed from the Hotmail Inbox on the Hotmail server.
Since installing Outlook Connector, this does not happen anymore. I have to
remember to physically delete and clean up the emails o the server by
logging in to Hotmail via IE.
Recently, I noticed that many of my emails suddenly become blank. The text,
Subject, Date, etc. are all blanked out except for the Sender which is set
to "None". All such emails are still on the server and are accessible
directly via IE. One noteworthy change is that I recently changed my cell
phone to a BlackBerry Tour 9630 and set up my Hotmail account on the Tour.
However, I only ever delete emails from the "Handheld", never the server,
and, as mentioned above, the emails are still on the server. Even more
bizarre, I have refrained from deleting emails on the Tour, period. Still
emails got blanked out.

The questions are: (1) How can I keep the server and Outlook synchronized;
and (2) How can I prevent this random blanking of some emails?

Thanks very much.

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"wjb" <wboctor(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm having a couple of problems since installing Outlook Connector. I'm
> running Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 with IE8 and Office 2007 Ultimate.
>
> Prior to installing Outlook Connector, Outlook and Hotmail were always
> synchronized. If I deleted an email from Outlook or moved it to a local
> folder, the email was removed from the Hotmail Inbox on the Hotmail server.
> Since installing Outlook Connector, this does not happen anymore. I have to
> remember to physically delete and clean up the emails o the server by
> logging in to Hotmail via IE.

Something is wrong with what you say here. Outlook without the Outlook
Connector has not been able to access Hotmail in the way you describe since
September 1, 2009. If you are able to move folders and messages around in
Outlook and the result is reflected on Hotmail, then you MUST be using the
Outlook Connector already.

> Recently, I noticed that many of my emails suddenly become blank. The text,
> Subject, Date, etc. are all blanked out except for the Sender which is set
> to "None". All such emails are still on the server and are accessible
> directly via IE. One noteworthy change is that I recently changed my cell
> phone to a BlackBerry Tour 9630 and set up my Hotmail account on the Tour.
> However, I only ever delete emails from the "Handheld", never the server,
> and, as mentioned above, the emails are still on the server. Even more
> bizarre, I have refrained from deleting emails on the Tour, period. Still
> emails got blanked out.

I don't know of any way for Blackberries to access Hotmail except via POP, but
then, I don't use a Blackberry. How do you define the Hotmail account on the
Blackberry?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: wjb on
Sorry about the confusion. What I meant by 'Prior to installing Outlook
Connector" actually refers to the period before September 1, 2009. I just
wanted to describe one of the changes observed when I started using Outlook
Connector. as far as the BlackBerry is concerned, recently I received a
notification from RIM that I needed to remove my Hotmail access from the
Tour, then re-activate it again to move it to POP, which I successfully did.
However, my observation last night, I think, absolves the BlackBerry since
emails that I only viewed through the BlackBerry, but did not delete, not
even on the Handheld only, still ended up being blanked out.

Even then, the problem could be made much less of a nuisance if, while
emails are still on the Hotmail server, I were able to "re-synchronize" my
Outlook client with the Hotmail server. As it stands, the synchronization
only occurs when emails are first retrieved. If any damage happens to them
within Outlook, then there appears to be no way to rectify that. Or is
there? That is the crux of the question.

Thanks for your help.

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Are you using an antivirus scanner on your email?

I can't repro the blank message problem, but someone else thinks its related
to moving the messages - when you move the messages to a local, they aren't
properly deleted from online. His blank messages seem to match the ones he
moved.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

> Sorry about the confusion. What I meant by 'Prior to installing Outlook
> Connector" actually refers to the period before September 1, 2009. I just
> wanted to describe one of the changes observed when I started using Outlook
> Connector. as far as the BlackBerry is concerned, recently I received a
> notification from RIM that I needed to remove my Hotmail access from the
> Tour, then re-activate it again to move it to POP, which I successfully did.
> However, my observation last night, I think, absolves the BlackBerry since
> emails that I only viewed through the BlackBerry, but did not delete, not
> even on the Handheld only, still ended up being blanked out.
>
> Even then, the problem could be made much less of a nuisance if, while
> emails are still on the Hotmail server, I were able to "re-synchronize" my
> Outlook client with the Hotmail server. As it stands, the synchronization
> only occurs when emails are first retrieved. If any damage happens to them
> within Outlook, then there appears to be no way to rectify that. Or is
> there? That is the crux of the question.

When using the Outlook Connector, Outlook and Hotmail will synchronize at each
send/receive event. This is a two-way sync, so changes you make either online
or in Outlook will show up in both places the next time a send/receive occurs.

I'm using the Outlook Connector 14 beta. Give htat a try to see if it behaves
any better.
http://blogs.msdn.com/outlook/archive/2009/12/04/announcing-the-outlook-hotmail-connector-beta.aspx
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]