From: Dave on
Through a process of elimination I've worked-out a fix for my particular case of Outlook (2007) hanging for ever on send/receive. Nothing else worked until I found in my Outbox one message where I'd used the option of Sending Reply to a Different Address; having cancelled that instruction, Outlook breathed a sigh of relief and sent and received everything immediately. This fix won't help everyone but it might if you've added a special option.

Anchorag wrote:

Damian, I have the exact same problem and have done exactly what you have done.
11-Aug-07

Damian, I have the exact same problem and have done exactly what you have
done. I am extremely frustrated.

Please let me know what you have found, if any solution. I paid good money
for this and I hate to go back to Xp (althought Office 2007 works with no
problems there).

Thanks,

"Damian" wrote:

On 07 July 2007 06:14
Damia wrote:

outlook 2007 hangs when sending email
Outlook frequently hangs when sending email, and goes into a frenzy of doing
tasks which causes the 'send/receive progress window' to shimmer as it does
hundreds of tasks. I have to use the task manager to stop it. Then the email
remains in the outbox, but I cannot open it because outlook says it has
started to send it.

How can I stop this? Thanks for ideas.

On 07 July 2007 09:26
Ro wrote:

RE: outlook 2007 hangs when sending email
I haven't figured out how to fix it, but I have discovered the following:

1) The "hangs" and "stuck sending" problems are related to an Outlook
process that gets locked, for some unknown reason.

2) If you exit Outlook, there is an Outlook process that does not close
properly. Aborting it in task manager will generally allow you to restart
Outlook and get things going again.

3) Several behaviors appear from this hung Outlook process:
a) Outlook will attempt to reopen after you closed it.
b) Before you close Outlook, all email in both directions may shutdown,
with no error messages or indication of problems.
c) The aborting of the Outlook process may leave the Outlook file in a
corrupted state and is detected/fixed on the next opening.

So I hope like you that MS reads this thread and takes it as a bug report. I
personally don't like the fact they want to charge me to report problems like
this or to go to other users for a fix that can only come from MS.

"Damian" wrote:

On 07 July 2007 12:10
Damia wrote:

At least I know it is a bug. Do I just wait for MS to sort it?
At least I know it is a bug. Do I just wait for MS to sort it? And meanwhile
use Thunderbird?

"Rob" wrote:

On 07 July 2007 12:18
Ro wrote:

I've been trying to figure out how to reach MS to report bugs - I think they
I've been trying to figure out how to reach MS to report bugs - I think they
filter into their system through discussions like this. In my case, my
workaround leaves the problem at a minimal irritation so I'm not ready to
switch to another client that I'd have to migrate and learn. Your decision
needs to be based on the hassle factor it has for you.

I suspect that this problem is deep inside their software and is dedpendent
on things like virus scanners, add-ons, etc. that get in the way, so they
will be a while in fixing it.

"Damian" wrote:

On 07 July 2007 15:06
F. H. Muffman wrote:

Re: outlook 2007 hangs when sending email
"Rob" <Rob(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Or a large message that is taking its sweet time to be sent.

The common reason this happens is because something else on the system is
determined to keep Outlook.exe running. ActiveSync and Plug-ins are the
most common culprits.

If it's a valid bug, they won't charge you. They refund calls like that.

And your first support call on Outlook 2007 (and all calls for the next 90
days) are free.

And if you're simply calling in for a known fix (ie, you have a KB article
number handy), you are not charged.

You could always try making a comment on the Outlook blog too, but I've
heard that that one is more of a marketing tool than the Exchange blog.

--
f.h.

On 07 July 2007 15:08
F. H. Muffman wrote:

Re: outlook 2007 hangs when sending email
"Damian" <Damian(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Well, when you can't delete it, you should be able to go File - Work Offline
and then delete it.

As for it not being able to send, are these messages overly large (as in,
say, over 1MB)? Unfortunately, my first step for troubleshooting that is
generally way over technical where I'd do a packet sniff and see what is
actually happening at the protocol level.
--
f.h.

On 11 July 2007 14:58
Damia wrote:

Thanks for the ideas, but it is still a problem.
Thanks for the ideas, but it is still a problem.
The stuck message does not clear when Outlook is off line.
I do not have plug ins, and I have the problem even when not using Active
synch.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook, but same problem.
I have upgraded to the latest version of Active Synch ie Mobile Device
Centre 6.1
The problem also occurs in safe mode.

I think it may be time to pay MS for advice?
Damian

"F. H. Muffman" wrote:

On 12 July 2007 00:08
F. H. Muffman wrote:

Re: outlook 2007 hangs when sending email
"Damian" <Damian(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It might be time, and if you haven't called yet, it's a free call. However,
lets start with one problem at a time.

Deleting the file in the Outbox.

Exit outlook
Start Outlook in safe mode with Start - Run - outlook /safe
Try to delete the message in the Outbox now.

If that fails, try steps in
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011394111033.aspx and
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/stuck_message.htm.

--
f.h.

On 11 August 2007 23:38
Anchorag wrote:

Damian, I have the exact same problem and have done exactly what you have done.
Damian, I have the exact same problem and have done exactly what you have
done. I am extremely frustrated.

Please let me know what you have found, if any solution. I paid good money
for this and I hate to go back to Xp (althought Office 2007 works with no
problems there).

Thanks,

"Damian" wrote:

On 09 November 2008 16:18
Paul Parker wrote:

Outlook 2007
Thank you for the information. We, too, have had repeated problems with Outlook 2007 hanging when trying to send email. It does not appear to have anything to do with the size of the message--even "test" can hang it. We could find nothing on the Microsoft help websites to help us. Consequently, we are using Gmail. The hell with it.
--Pparker

On 19 June 2009 09:04
Pr0x1 wrote:

Outlook 2007 HAng and not sending email
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

ASP Intrinsics Under COM Plus in the VB Windows 2000 ComponentASP
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/fcd02a7e-e6c8-4f0d-8916-2d1312d4d930/asp-intrinsics-under-com.aspx