From: "William Jordan" on
Folks,

I assume we aren't the only ones whose users prefer Outlook as their mail
client but use PostFix as their company e-mail server? I am doing research
into Exchange (very costly) and other options for shared calendar and
contacts. We would prefer to stay with Postfix and hope there are options
for using it as a group messaging and collaboration solution? If you know
of solutions we should consider I would appreciate your replies with links
etc. Also if there are caveats to consider I would greatly appreciate
knowing those as well.

Regards,

William

William Jordan
IT Manager

From: Gary Smith on
William,

Postfix isn't actually the email server. It's one of many components necessary to make an email server. I think you are really looking for IMAP/POP3 for the email storage and postfix as the transport. I would start on the IMAP side and find out what suits your needs there. We have many clients that use cyrus IMAP with postfix for most of their mail needs with a horde (php/apache) webmail client as a web based email (allowing them to use both outlook in the office and the web when on the road).

Gary Smith

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 12:47:53PM -0800, William Jordan wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I assume we aren't the only ones whose users prefer Outlook as their mail
> client but use PostFix as their company e-mail server? I am doing research
> into Exchange (very costly) and other options for shared calendar and
> contacts. We would prefer to stay with Postfix and hope there are options
> for using it as a group messaging and collaboration solution? If you know
> of solutions we should consider I would appreciate your replies with links
> etc. Also if there are caveats to consider I would greatly appreciate
> knowing those as well.

Check out Zimbra, OpenExchange and friends. Postfix is an MTA, not a
group-ware server. All the interesting stuff is between the MUA and the
mail store, submission of email is a rather small part of what users
expect from a "messaging client".

--
Viktor.

From: Patrick Ben Koetter on
* William Jordan <wjordan(a)TNINetwork.com>:
> Folks,
>
> I assume we aren't the only ones whose users prefer Outlook as their mail
> client but use PostFix as their company e-mail server? I am doing research
> into Exchange (very costly) and other options for shared calendar and
> contacts. We would prefer to stay with Postfix and hope there are options
> for using it as a group messaging and collaboration solution? If you know
> of solutions we should consider I would appreciate your replies with links
> etc. Also if there are caveats to consider I would greatly appreciate
> knowing those as well.

"Sogo" seems fine. Use it in combination with the Funambol SyncML server and
the Funambol SyncML connector for Outlook.

p(a)rick

> Regards,
>
> William
>

> William Jordan
> IT Manager

justified.

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):

From: "William Jordan" on
[mailto:owner-postfix-users(a)postfix.org] On Behalf Of Patrick Ben Koetter

* William Jordan <wjordan(a)TNINetwork.com>:
> Folks,
>
> I assume we aren't the only ones whose users prefer Outlook as their mail
> client but use PostFix as their company e-mail server? I am doing
research
> into Exchange (very costly) and other options for shared calendar and
> contacts. We would prefer to stay with Postfix and hope there are options
> for using it as a group messaging and collaboration solution? If you know
> of solutions we should consider I would appreciate your replies with links
> etc. Also if there are caveats to consider I would greatly appreciate
> knowing those as well.

"Sogo" seems fine. Use it in combination with the Funambol SyncML server and
the Funambol SyncML connector for Outlook.

p(a)rick

Thanks Patrick, I wasn't able to find a "Sogo" though the Funambol website
and options look excellent for any device sync.

Regards,
William