From: Ken on
I'm unable to get an instance of MS Outlook 2003 to start on Windows
Terminal Server running on Windows 2000 Server. Here is what I know:

When I start Outlook under a normal user, this is the error message
that I get:

Title: Microsoft Office Outlook
Body: (Red Circle X) Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook.
(OK Button)

I did a quick search on google, and I came up to a MS KB article
specifying that I may have to disable Outlook Express as the default
IMAPI client. So I go to open outlook express, It asks me to create an
Identity... okay, I click on "Manage Identities", "New", type in 'asdf'
for the name, and click "OK", then click "Yes" - I want to switch to
asdf now.

Now I get a new error message:

Title: Identity Switch Cancelled
Body: (Yellow Triangle Exclamation) The current identity could not be
changed because one of the applications was unable to switch. Close any
open dialog boxes in other applications before trying again.
(OK Button)

I have no other applications open, so I did another search on google,
and turned up this MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224463

I go into HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Identities and notice that all the values
are set to nulls, or 0's. The Identities folder has:
Last User ID: REG_SZ "00000000-0000-0000-0000000000"
Last username: REG_SZ ""
Migrated5: REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

And that's it... nothing else. I try to add a new key just to test
permissions, and I get this error message using regedit:

Title: Error Creating Value
Body: (Red Circle X) Cannot create value: Error writing to the
registry.
(OK Button)

Can anyone help me shed some light on this? Thanks in advance, even
just for looking.

From: Brian Tillman on
Ken <ken.sykora(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm unable to get an instance of MS Outlook 2003 to start on Windows
> Terminal Server running on Windows 2000 Server. Here is what I know:
>
> When I start Outlook under a normal user, this is the error message
> that I get:
>
> Title: Microsoft Office Outlook
> Body: (Red Circle X) Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook.
> (OK Button)

See if this helps: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm .
Outlook not starting also can be caused by the last instance not closing, so
this may also help:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm .
--
Brian Tillman