From: superpollo on
Sven Mascheck ha scritto:
> Maxwell Lol wrote:
>
>> Oh come on, now. shell scripts and human life?
>> Are we going to refer to Nazis and Hitler next?
>
> ... while Seinfeld would've called some guys
> a "shell nazi" in this group long ago, ha!

NO SHELL FOR YOU!
From: John Kelly on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:32:38 +0000 (UTC), Sven Mascheck
<mascheck(a)email.invalid> wrote:

> Seinfeld would've called some guys a "shell nazi" in this group long ago

It seems this thread has reached end of life.

Did the OP grab the cheese and run? No thanks for a solution?

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: Marc Muehlfeld on
Am 17.06.2010 15:03, schrieb pk:
> printf -v string "%30s" " "
> echo "${string// /=}"

I choosed this solution. All other were with additional commands like 'tr' or
with more then two commands or for ksh/...

Thanks.
From: Ed Morton on
On 6/18/2010 8:22 AM, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Am 17.06.2010 15:03, schrieb pk:
>> printf -v string "%30s" " "
>> echo "${string// /=}"
>
> I choosed this solution. All other were with additional commands like
> 'tr' or with more then two commands or for ksh/...

Just to make sure you noticed: this solution requires a shell variable, two
commands and a non-portable syntax. I'm pretty sure the only reason it was
suggested was because you asked for a solution that just uses shell builtins so
unless that's truly your over-riding criteria for a solution, you might want to
rethink your choice.

Ed.
From: John Kelly on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 08:53:49 -0500, Ed Morton <mortonspam(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 6/18/2010 8:22 AM, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:

>> Am 17.06.2010 15:03, schrieb pk:
>>> printf -v string "%30s" " "
>>> echo "${string// /=}"

>Just to make sure you noticed: this solution requires a shell variable, two
>commands and a non-portable syntax. I'm pretty sure the only reason it was
>suggested was because you asked for a solution that just uses shell builtins so
>unless that's truly your over-riding criteria for a solution, you might want to
>rethink your choice.

Most scripts are useful only in a particular local environment, and will
never be ported. If the script will never be ported, portability has no
value. But never mind that, beating a dead horse is fun ...