Prev: IE8
Next: Table borders
From: Swifty on
I have a page that uses a stylesheet over which I have no control.
That stylesheet has set table widths to 100%

Is there some way that I can put the table back to its default width
(i.e. not specified).

I tried:
table {width:"" !important}

.... and wasn't in the least surprised when it had no effect.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
From: Jukka K. Korpela on
Swifty wrote:

> I have a page that uses a stylesheet over which I have no control.
> That stylesheet has set table widths to 100%
>
> Is there some way that I can put the table back to its default width
> (i.e. not specified).
>
> I tried:
> table {width:"" !important}
>
> ... and wasn't in the least surprised when it had no effect.

Right, because that stylesheet is malformed; "" is not even a formally
correct value.

This should work better, provided the uncontrollable stylesheet doesn't use
!important and isn't applied after yours:

table { width: auto !important; }

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

From: Swifty on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:51:29 +0200, "Jukka K. Korpela"
<jkorpela(a)cs.tut.fi> wrote:

>table { width: auto !important; }

Thanks. That fixed the table width. Just a few other settings to
fiddle with now, but they should be simple.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
http://www.ringers.org.uk