From: jeff on
It appears that we not only have to support IE8 but all of it's various
modes. Is the default setting IE8 in standards mode and is this likely
where most people are?

How does IE8 in IE7 mode respond to this:

<!--[if lte IE 7]>

I'm without IE8 at the moment.

Recommendations for dealing with inline-block in this quirky beast?

Jeff
From: freemont on
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:50:00 -0500, jeff writ:

> It appears that we not only have to support IE8 but all of it's various
> modes. Is the default setting IE8 in standards mode and is this likely
> where most people are?
>
> How does IE8 in IE7 mode respond to this:
>
> <!--[if lte IE 7]>

It responds as if it were IE7. The conditional goes into effect.

> I'm without IE8 at the moment.
>
> Recommendations for dealing with inline-block in this quirky beast?

I've taken to using:

to force IE8 to render as though it is IE8.
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
From: Neredbojias on
On 27 Feb 2010, jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net> wrote:

> It appears that we not only have to support IE8 but all of it's
> various modes. Is the default setting IE8 in standards mode and is
> this likely where most people are?
>
> How does IE8 in IE7 mode respond to this:
>
> <!--[if lte IE 7]>
>
> I'm without IE8 at the moment.
>
> Recommendations for dealing with inline-block in this quirky
> beast?

Use floats. If centering is required, approximate it with ems.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/
From: jeff on
Neredbojias wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2010, jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net> wrote:
>
>> It appears that we not only have to support IE8 but all of it's
>> various modes. Is the default setting IE8 in standards mode and is
>> this likely where most people are?
>>
>> How does IE8 in IE7 mode respond to this:
>>
>> <!--[if lte IE 7]>
>>
>> I'm without IE8 at the moment.
>>
>> Recommendations for dealing with inline-block in this quirky
>> beast?
>
> Use floats. If centering is required, approximate it with ems.

Lets say you have a page of thumbnails with descriptions. Row after
row. The problem with floats is that either all your thumbnail
containers have to be the same height, or you have to force clears after
every row which leaves you with fixed row counts. Otherwise any box that
extends lower than it's neighbors will be the starting point for the
next row. The fixes for that are more irksome than the fixes for
inline-block. Plus you you can align bottom (with inline-block), if you
wish.

Now, I use floats in every template I write, but for flowing rows,
they suck!

Just my 2 cents! YMMV.

Jeff

From: Neredbojias on
On 27 Feb 2010, jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net> wrote:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>> On 27 Feb 2010, jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> It appears that we not only have to support IE8 but all of it's
>>> various modes. Is the default setting IE8 in standards mode and is
>>> this likely where most people are?
>>>
>>> How does IE8 in IE7 mode respond to this:
>>>
>>> <!--[if lte IE 7]>
>>>
>>> I'm without IE8 at the moment.
>>>
>>> Recommendations for dealing with inline-block in this quirky
>>> beast?
>>
>> Use floats. If centering is required, approximate it with ems.
>
> Lets say you have a page of thumbnails with descriptions. Row
> after
> row. The problem with floats is that either all your thumbnail
> containers have to be the same height, or you have to force clears
> after every row which leaves you with fixed row counts. Otherwise any
> box that extends lower than it's neighbors will be the starting point
> for the next row. The fixes for that are more irksome than the fixes
> for inline-block. Plus you you can align bottom (with inline-block),
> if you wish.
>
> Now, I use floats in every template I write, but for flowing rows,
> they suck!
>
> Just my 2 cents! YMMV.

Different heights? Well yeah, I think you're right about the effect of
that on floats, but assuming it "worked" as you indicate you desire,
why would you want such a layout in the first place? Varying heights
would make the "row" spacings asymmetrical; wouldn't it look like dodo
doo doo as a "finished product"?

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/