From: rickman on
I have a few domain names that I registered, but have not yet put into
use. One of these was up for renewal and I didn't get to moving it to
a new registrar before the term expired. I've looked this up on the
ICANN site and they say that expiration of the domain name is not a
valid reason to prevent a transfer.

Instances when the requested change of Registrar may not be denied
include, but are not limited to:

* Nonpayment for a pending or future registration period

The registrar in question has put a User Lock on the domain name, I
never use locks as they sound like asking for trouble. They won't let
me remove the lock. This is covered under when they can block a
transfer.

The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the
following specific instances:

7. A domain name was already in “lock status” provided that the
Registrar provides a readily accessible and reasonable means for the
Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status.

I have informed the registrar of my desire to move the domain name and
they have not been cooperative so far. I guess my next step is to
contact ICANN. Anyone here had to do that before? Was it a PITA?

Rick
From: larwe on
On Aug 9, 2:25 pm, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a few domain names that I registered, but have not yet put into
> use.  One of these was up for renewal and I didn't get to moving it to
> a new registrar before the term expired.  I've looked this up on the

It sounds like the easiest thing for you to do is pay the original
registrar for one more year's service, then transfer to a new
registrar later. ICANN is exactly the bureaucracy you would expect.
From: Jim Stewart on
larwe wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2:25 pm, rickman<gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a few domain names that I registered, but have not yet put into
>> use. One of these was up for renewal and I didn't get to moving it to
>> a new registrar before the term expired. I've looked this up on the
>
> It sounds like the easiest thing for you to do is pay the original
> registrar for one more year's service, then transfer to a new
> registrar later. ICANN is exactly the bureaucracy you would expect.

Agreed. On the face of it, they did you a favor
by locking the domain instead of allowing it to
up by a squatter. Just pay up and then transfer
it.
From: Don McKenzie on
On 10/08/2010 6:30 AM, Jim Stewart wrote:
> larwe wrote:
>> On Aug 9, 2:25 pm, rickman<gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have a few domain names that I registered, but have not yet put into
>>> use. One of these was up for renewal and I didn't get to moving it to
>>> a new registrar before the term expired. I've looked this up on the
>>
>> It sounds like the easiest thing for you to do is pay the original
>> registrar for one more year's service, then transfer to a new
>> registrar later. ICANN is exactly the bureaucracy you would expect.
>
> Agreed. On the face of it, they did you a favor
> by locking the domain instead of allowing it to
> up by a squatter. Just pay up and then transfer
> it.

Curiosity question:
How much did the domain cost at the current registrar?
I think the last two posters hit the nail on the head.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-iso-low-full-speed-usb-isolator.html

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html