From: Geo on
I am thinking about using a number of remote GSM modems which would send an SMS
about once a week (or more often if a fault detected).
The obvious choice for a SIM card seemed to be PAYG but on checking the Tesco
site T&C I found:-
*9.5* You may not use your SIM Card: (a)
(a) in, or connected to, any other device including modems;

I have not (so far) found anything similar on the Asda site.

The modem supplier (RS part no. 615-8701 TC35iT) offered a Voda GPRS 12Mb M2M
Sim Card for �60 which seems unwarranted for the proposed SMS usage - but is
anyway a discontinued product.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

--
Geo
From: Steve Terry on
"Geo" <hw9j-s5hw(a)dea.spamcon.org> wrote in message
>I am thinking about using a number of remote GSM modems which would send an
>SMS
> about once a week (or more often if a fault detected).
> The obvious choice for a SIM card seemed to be PAYG but on checking the
> Tesco
> site T&C I found:-
> *9.5* You may not use your SIM Card: (a)
> (a) in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
>
> I have not (so far) found anything similar on the Asda site.
>
> The modem supplier (RS part no. 615-8701 TC35iT) offered a Voda GPRS 12Mb
> M2M
> Sim Card for �60 which seems unwarranted for the proposed SMS usage - but
> is
> anyway a discontinued product.
> Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
> Geo

I would think the most important factor is what network coverage's
do you have for the location that the GSM modem will be working in.

In reality no network will punish you for tethering a GSM modem
to their PAYG Sim

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Andy Burns on
Peter wrote:

> You need to get the device to transmit an SMS (or a brief phone call
> which must connect to a real number which answers the call) every 5.9
> months else the SIM will get cut off.

I think for 70p a week I'd prefer the comfort of an "all quiet" message
from each modem every day ...

As to the T&C violation, I'd ignore it, I'm sure Voda will.
From: pebkac on
On 2010-06-24 16:19:36 -0400, Andy Burns said:

> Peter wrote:
>
>> You need to get the device to transmit an SMS (or a brief phone call
>> which must connect to a real number which answers the call) every 5.9
>> months else the SIM will get cut off.
>
> I think for 70p a week I'd prefer the comfort of an "all quiet" message
> from each modem every day ...
>
> As to the T&C violation, I'd ignore it, I'm sure Voda will.

Yep. They will still make money from the texts you send. I think the
reason that rule is there is people sign up for "unlimted text"
packages and then sell texting services via the internet for ���