From: timOleary on
Using XP pro 64

The PC is left unattended and occassionally something occurs where it
drops off the network and when I go to use it is unresponsive.
The Windows screen saver icon is stationary (not wandering around the
monitor),
clicking/ moving mouse or pressing keys does not revive it.
there is nothing in the even log to indicate anything has happened. I
have to hold the power button down to shut down, then reboot. This
happens randomly, cannot correlate it to anything on site.
I have set the power configs so it shouldn't be hibernating or
standing by.
USB keyboard and mouse are always connected. MOnitor is connected but
shut off while unattended, or sometimes disconnected from port
I wish I could figure out what is happening, but in the mean time:

Can I customize event log to monitor for what is happening?
Is there an app which will send automatic scheduled emails and I will
at least be aware that the emails have ceased and by this way know the
PC has locked up?
thanks
From: Unknown on
Overheating is possible cause.

From: glee on
"timOleary" <timothy.w.oleary(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> The PC is left unattended
> snip
> The Windows screen saver icon is stationary (not wandering around
> snip
> MOnitor is connected but
> shut off while unattended, or sometimes disconnected from port

Please clarify....
is the monitor off, or is it disconnected, or is it on and the
screensaver is frozen?

My first reaction would be to turn off all screensavers...set
screensaver to None.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: timOleary on
On Feb 10, 2:21 pm, "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote:
> "timOleary" <timothy.w.ole...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > The PC is left unattended
> > snip
> > The Windows screen saver icon is stationary (not wandering around
> > snip
> >  MOnitor is connected but
> > shut off while unattended, or sometimes disconnected from port
>
> Please clarify....
> is the monitor off, or is it disconnected, or is it on and the
> screensaver is frozen?
>
> My first reaction would be to turn off all screensavers...set
> screensaver to None.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> A+http://dts-l.net/

Hi

re: monitor
I've tried it both ways. I'll leave the monitor attached only shut it
off, and other times I'll disconnect the monitor.

the computer is a single rack height unit, maybe I need to re-mount it
so there is one rack height of nothing above and below it so air can
circulate.
Or perhaps put a fan of some kind it
It is in a temperature controlled server room, but air circulation
could very well be an issue. nothing else in the room is failing, but
that doesn't mean heat isn't a factor with this particular unit.

I'll de-activate the screensaver.

I found an app called 'sendlater' which will send emails unattended.
That would be a daily sentinel signal.
free trial for 14 days

Pages: 1
Prev: Adaware free