From: Leon on
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:11:56 -0500, Denny Strauser <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Leon(a)nospam.com wrote:
>> I thought that all PCs used one "channel" of the mic input for audio, and the
>> other one for +5v to run a condenser mic.
>>
>> I looked at my PC with a voltmeter and found no voltage... and connecting a
>> dynamic mic to either channel produced audio...
>>
>> I would use the dynamic (AKG) but its some 25db down even if I shout!
>>
>> And I can't find the stupid little plastic PC condenser mic I used to have, to
>> test it...
>>
>> Do I have to get a mic pre for this or does anyone have suggestions? I used to
>> use the line in for serious audio with a mixer...
>>
>> I just wanted to add some voice-over to something... How come simple things are
>> a royal PAIN!?
>

>A dynamic should work fine. You don't mention what software you're
>using. Is it set for line-in, rather than mic? Is it padded?

I'm using Cool Edit Pro. I've never used this particular computer for audio
before, so I don't know the machine. The audio is on the mother board, maybe I
should plug in my old Yamaha card! (Not sure if it's compatible with today's
connectors.)

>Some condensers can run with battery power. Have you checked out USB
>mics? They might be a cheaper alternative than a mic pre + condenser.

I'll check into that, thanks.

From: Steve M on
<Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> <bob.howes(a)bee-tee-internet.com>> wrote:
>>Do yourself a favour and buy even a cheap USB interface...E-MU, M-Audio,
>>Edirol etc. all make good but very affordable ones. This will sort out
>>your
>>power and level problems at a stroke and give audibly better results at
>>the
>>same time.
>
> I'll definitely look into USB mics and gizmos!

Take a look at the Lexicon Lambda. Retails around 150USD. Two mic inputs
w/phantom, two line in, plus monitor and headphone out. I use mine for all
sorts
of applications. A great little unit for the price. Line ins will accept
everything from
home stereo gear to keyboard and guitar through a DI. It comes with Cubase
LE,
which I found to be glitchy and pretty useless. I simply downloaded a free
version
of Audacity and have no problems. I've been using it to convert my vinyl
record
collection to MP3 format, among other things.

--
Steve <snip> McQ