From: Paul on
Pen wrote:

>> I have now heard back from the owner of the machine and the motherboard
>> details picked up using Everest are;
>> Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd
>> Product MS-7091

> It's an OEM only motherboard with 3 PCI slots and one PCIE
> x16 slot. Manual is here;
>

> http://217.110.237.67/Manuals/Medion%208383XL%20mit%20MS-7091.pdf

So as long as the PCI Express x16 slot is empty, it can be used
for one of the cheaper PCI Express cards.

You can fit a x1, x4, x8, or x16 card in a x16 slot. x16 cards
are probably the cheapest option, as they're so common.

The video card draws some power from the PCI Express slot. For
a cheap card, chances are there are no other power connectors
on the card. If you bought a high end gamer card, those come with
extra 2x3 or 2x4 power connectors on the end or top of the
card. Buying a card without such connectors, means the power
consumption, practically speaking, stays below about 60W.

Paul
From: Tinkerer on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> Pen wrote:
>
>>> I have now heard back from the owner of the machine and the motherboard
>>> details picked up using Everest are;
>>> Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd
>>> Product MS-7091
>
>> It's an OEM only motherboard with 3 PCI slots and one PCIE
>> x16 slot. Manual is here;
>>

>> http://217.110.237.67/Manuals/Medion%208383XL%20mit%20MS-7091.pdf
>
> So as long as the PCI Express x16 slot is empty, it can be used
> for one of the cheaper PCI Express cards.
>
> You can fit a x1, x4, x8, or x16 card in a x16 slot. x16 cards
> are probably the cheapest option, as they're so common.
>
> The video card draws some power from the PCI Express slot. For
> a cheap card, chances are there are no other power connectors
> on the card. If you bought a high end gamer card, those come with
> extra 2x3 or 2x4 power connectors on the end or top of the
> card. Buying a card without such connectors, means the power
> consumption, practically speaking, stays below about 60W.

Many thanks Pen and Paul. Having the manual is a great help; I had tried
to get one but failed to find it. Now, armed with your information we can
make some decisions about how to proceed. I can only assume that there was
either dirt covering the 6 (in PCIE x16) or the paint has come away.
Thanks again.
--
Tinkerer