From: Tinkerer on
The graphics card in a friends computer has died. It is a PCI Express x1
card. Looking at the available cards there seem to be only a few of this
type and they are fairly expensive whereas for his needs something much
cheaper would be adequate. Looking at other PCI Express cards, there are
indeed cheaper options available, but I do not know if we can use a
different PCI Express spec. I have noticed PCI Express, PCI Express 2,
PCI Express 2x16 and others. What type(s) can I use in this PCI Express x1
slot?
--
Tinkerer

From: Paul on
Tinkerer wrote:
> The graphics card in a friends computer has died. It is a PCI Express x1
> card. Looking at the available cards there seem to be only a few of this
> type and they are fairly expensive whereas for his needs something much
> cheaper would be adequate. Looking at other PCI Express cards, there are
> indeed cheaper options available, but I do not know if we can use a
> different PCI Express spec. I have noticed PCI Express, PCI Express 2,
> PCI Express 2x16 and others. What type(s) can I use in this PCI Express x1
> slot?

PCI Express comes in two speeds. PCI Express Rev 1 is 250MB/sec per lane.
PCi Express Rev 2 is 500MB/sec per lane. Rev 2 is compatible with Rev 1.
If a Rev 2 device is plugged into a Rev 1 slot, it is supposed to run
at Rev 1 speeds.

There are very few PCI Express x1 slots running at Rev 2 speeds. The
majority today are Rev 1.

You should take a careful look at your friend's computer, and see
what spare slots are available. PCI Express x1 is better than PCI,
250MB/sec versus 133MB/sec. Buying a PCI video card might be
an option, but not the best option.

The computer may also have an AGP slot, and there are still AGP
video cards. The newer cards use a bridge chip, Rialto for ATI
cards, HSI for Nvidia cards. The bridge chip converts a PCI
Express GPU, to work with an AGP slot. The best support might
be for AGP 4x or 8x slots, as the bridge chip may only run at
1.5V. If you have a really old motherboard (like my 440BX motherboard),
it has a 3.3V AGP slot, and the newer AGP bridged cards probably
wouldn't fit into the slot (the 3.3V key would prevent it).

Info on fitting AGP cards is here.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

1) PCI Express x16 slot - 4GB/sec or 8GB/sec bandwidth. Would work with
modern PCI Express video cards of either revision. Only a couple
cards had issues, when Rev 2 first came out. They should all work now.

2) PCI Express x1 - harder to find replacement cards. 250MB/sec

3) PCI slot - the most common slot type, in terms of it being
available in most computers. Some cards are available.
Severely restricted bandwidth, 133MB/sec.

4) AGP slot. 8x = 2133MB/sec 4x=1066MB/sec. 1.5V VIO on those.
(Bridged) AGP video cards may run at 1.5V. Fewer options
for a 3.3V keyed AGP slot, with much older GPUs supporting
that. See Playtool.com for details.

Newegg shows two video cards with PCI Express x1. This one is
low profile, and even includes low profile faceplates for fitting
in a "Dell slim". Fan is noisy. Card is expensive at $105.
Card may accept an after-market heatsink and fan, if a better
cooler is desired.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161280

Post the make and model of computer, if you need more assistance.
Also indicate what slots are occupied or are empty.

*******

A PCI Express x16 card could fit into an x1 slot... if the end
of the slot was cut off :-) Surgery would be risky, and involve
a Dremel.

The orange slot here, is an "open ended" x4 slot. It will accept
an x16 card. This is a picture of a motherboard, where the slot
installed on the computer, is open on the end on purpose.

http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/item830/big_12.jpg

The x4 slot (top one) here has the more normal "closed end" and only
a x1 or x4 card will fit. Dremeling out the bir on the end, could
make it "open ended" - assuming the connector doesn't spring apart
too much.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/PCIExpress.jpg

In theory, a PCI Express x16 card can operate at x16, x8, x4, x2, x1.
But experience varies as to how a card will respond if plugged into
some of the lower end options. For example, my motherboard has
x4 wiring of a x16 slot, and not all video cards will work in
it. So while grinding the center section out of the end of the
PCI Express x1 connector would make more card options available
to you, I can't promise all the cards will work without issue.

The "x16, x8, x4, x2, x1" thing was tested here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sli-coming,927.html

HTH,
Paul
From: Jan Alter on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/item830/big_12.jpg
>
> The x4 slot (top one) here has the more normal "closed end" and only
> a x1 or x4 card will fit. Dremeling out the bir on the end, could
> make it "open ended" - assuming the connector doesn't spring apart
> too much.
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/PCIExpress.jpg
>
> In theory, a PCI Express x16 card can operate at x16, x8, x4, x2, x1.
> But experience varies as to how a card will respond if plugged into
> some of the lower end options. For example, my motherboard has
> x4 wiring of a x16 slot, and not all video cards will work in
> it. So while grinding the center section out of the end of the
> PCI Express x1 connector would make more card options available
> to you, I can't promise all the cards will work without issue.
>
> The "x16, x8, x4, x2, x1" thing was tested here.

As for the course Paul gives a very comprehensive explanation to the
question. Additionally, if you locate a PCI V 2. card that would fall back
to V. 1 also look at the specs required for the card to operate in the
computer. Quite often a minimum wattage for the power supply is indicated.
In my own experience, if the card is still on the lower end one can get away
with a 300 watt ps.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: kony on
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:10:18 -0000, "Tinkerer"
<invalidaddress(a)invalidaddress.invalid> wrote:

>The graphics card in a friends computer has died. It is a PCI Express x1
>card.

Are you shure? Those are kind of rare, perhaps it is a PCIe
1.0 card rather than x1?

What motherboard does your friend have and what slots are
available for the card, if it is a PCIe x1 card and other
slots might be useful instead? Generally if some other slot
is available there is little reason to get a PCIe x1 card,
certainly not for performance since no "performance"
oriented card comes in PCIe x1 format.

Best to make a list of the requirements for the card, like
the monitor output port type, # of outputs needed, whether
it needs any particular level of gaming ability, the budget,
whether case can use and a passive (fanless) card would be
desired, one with a fan, one that is easier to clean dust
out of or instead one that exhausts out the rear of the case
to make cooling a bit easier (but often double-height
blocking the next adjacent motherboard slot).

>Looking at the available cards there seem to be only a few of this
>type and they are fairly expensive whereas for his needs something much
>cheaper would be adequate. Looking at other PCI Express cards, there are
>indeed cheaper options available, but I do not know if we can use a
>different PCI Express spec. I have noticed PCI Express, PCI Express 2,
>PCI Express 2x16 and others. What type(s) can I use in this PCI Express x1
>slot?

Are you sure it is a PCIe 1x slot? If it is 4x, 8x or 16x,
no need to get another 1x card if that is what it is. What
make and model of card is it that died?