From: steventhomas42 on
Back in November 2001, I posted a message to this group about my PD-
M551 and got the right answer on the first try:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair/browse_thread/thread/547ab9dd5a0973cb/5a1a82b5a16e6477?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=steventhomas42#5a1a82b5a16e6477

I acquired and installed that ribbon cab;e and used the CD changer for
a couple of more years, but it developed another quirk that I have not
taken the time to research until now. When you insert the 6-disc
cartridge and press play, it pulls in each disc, rejects it without
playing anything and moves to the next disc until it fails all of
them.

I was under the impression that the new pickup cable I put in was
actually an improved cable over the original. Was I mistaken, and
will another cable repair the problem, or do I have a different
problem now?

Thanks,

Steve
From: Arfa Daily on

"steventhomas42" <steventhomas42(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Back in November 2001, I posted a message to this group about my PD-
> M551 and got the right answer on the first try:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair/browse_thread/thread/547ab9dd5a0973cb/5a1a82b5a16e6477?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=steventhomas42#5a1a82b5a16e6477
>
> I acquired and installed that ribbon cab;e and used the CD changer for
> a couple of more years, but it developed another quirk that I have not
> taken the time to research until now. When you insert the 6-disc
> cartridge and press play, it pulls in each disc, rejects it without
> playing anything and moves to the next disc until it fails all of
> them.
>
> I was under the impression that the new pickup cable I put in was
> actually an improved cable over the original. Was I mistaken, and
> will another cable repair the problem, or do I have a different
> problem now?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

There are two very common problems on all of the Pioneer players from that
era. First is the spindle motor. When a disc has loaded, does it spin ? If
not, does it start if you 'help' it ? Second problem on ones with the deck
mounted on top of the mech upside down, is the laser lens having fallen out
of its carrier. Try gently shaking the player or tipping it around to see if
you can hear anything rolling about. The lens can be re-attached, but it's a
bit of a delicate job, and there are a couple of pitfalls to look out for.
If it turns out to be either of these problems, post back, and one of us
should be able to guide you through the repair process. FWIW, I think it is
unlikely that you would have a problem again with the flexiprint cable.

Arfa

From: Mark Zacharias on
"Arfa Daily" <arfa.daily(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "steventhomas42" <steventhomas42(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Back in November 2001, I posted a message to this group about my PD-
>> M551 and got the right answer on the first try:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair/browse_thread/thread/547ab9dd5a0973cb/5a1a82b5a16e6477?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=steventhomas42#5a1a82b5a16e6477
>>
>> I acquired and installed that ribbon cab;e and used the CD changer for
>> a couple of more years, but it developed another quirk that I have not
>> taken the time to research until now. When you insert the 6-disc
>> cartridge and press play, it pulls in each disc, rejects it without
>> playing anything and moves to the next disc until it fails all of
>> them.
>>
>> I was under the impression that the new pickup cable I put in was
>> actually an improved cable over the original. Was I mistaken, and
>> will another cable repair the problem, or do I have a different
>> problem now?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve
>
> There are two very common problems on all of the Pioneer players from that
> era. First is the spindle motor. When a disc has loaded, does it spin ? If
> not, does it start if you 'help' it ? Second problem on ones with the deck
> mounted on top of the mech upside down, is the laser lens having fallen
> out of its carrier. Try gently shaking the player or tipping it around to
> see if you can hear anything rolling about. The lens can be re-attached,
> but it's a bit of a delicate job, and there are a couple of pitfalls to
> look out for. If it turns out to be either of these problems, post back,
> and one of us should be able to guide you through the repair process.
> FWIW, I think it is unlikely that you would have a problem again with the
> flexiprint cable.
>
> Arfa

Also, collapsed rubber insulators allow the disc to scrape while playing.
Very common, and causes skipping.

Mark Z.

From: steventhomas42 on
On Jul 22, 9:50 pm, "Mark Zacharias" <mark_zachar...(a)sbclobal.net>
wrote:
> "Arfa Daily" <arfa.da...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> > "steventhomas42" <steventhoma...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Back in November 2001, I posted a message to this group about myPD->> M551and got the right answer on the first try:
>
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair/browse_thread/t....
>
> >> I acquired and installed that ribbon cab;e and used the CD changer for
> >> a couple of more years, but it developed another quirk that I have not
> >> taken the time to research until now.  When you insert the 6-disc
> >> cartridge and press play, it pulls in each disc, rejects it without
> >> playing anything and moves to the next disc until it fails all of
> >> them.
>
> >> I was under the impression that the new pickup cable I put in was
> >> actually an improved cable over the original.  Was I mistaken, and
> >> will another cable repair the problem, or do I have a different
> >> problem now?
>
> >> Thanks,
>
> >> Steve
>
> > There are two very common problems on all of the Pioneer players from that
> > era. First is the spindle motor. When a disc has loaded, does it spin ? If
> > not, does it start if you 'help' it ? Second problem on ones with the deck
> > mounted on top of the mech upside down, is the laser lens having fallen
> > out of its carrier. Try gently shaking the player or tipping it around to
> > see if you can hear anything rolling about. The lens can be re-attached,
> > but it's a bit of a delicate job, and there are a couple of pitfalls to
> > look out for. If it turns out to be either of these problems, post back,
> > and one of us should be able to guide you through the repair process.
> > FWIW, I think it is unlikely that you would have a problem again with the
> > flexiprint cable.
>
> > Arfa
>
> Also, collapsed rubber insulators allow the disc to scrape while playing.
> Very common, and causes skipping.
>
> Mark Z.- Hide quoted text -

It's not skipping because it never plays anything. The discs stay in
for about 5 seconds before they are returned to the cartridge and the
next disc is pulled.
From: Arfa Daily on

"Mark Zacharias" <mark_zacharias(a)sbclobal.net> wrote in message
> "Arfa Daily" <arfa.daily(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "steventhomas42" <steventhomas42(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Back in November 2001, I posted a message to this group about my PD-
>>> M551 and got the right answer on the first try:
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair/browse_thread/thread/547ab9dd5a0973cb/5a1a82b5a16e6477?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=steventhomas42#5a1a82b5a16e6477
>>>
>>> I acquired and installed that ribbon cab;e and used the CD changer for
>>> a couple of more years, but it developed another quirk that I have not
>>> taken the time to research until now. When you insert the 6-disc
>>> cartridge and press play, it pulls in each disc, rejects it without
>>> playing anything and moves to the next disc until it fails all of
>>> them.
>>>
>>> I was under the impression that the new pickup cable I put in was
>>> actually an improved cable over the original. Was I mistaken, and
>>> will another cable repair the problem, or do I have a different
>>> problem now?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> There are two very common problems on all of the Pioneer players from
>> that era. First is the spindle motor. When a disc has loaded, does it
>> spin ? If not, does it start if you 'help' it ? Second problem on ones
>> with the deck mounted on top of the mech upside down, is the laser lens
>> having fallen out of its carrier. Try gently shaking the player or
>> tipping it around to see if you can hear anything rolling about. The lens
>> can be re-attached, but it's a bit of a delicate job, and there are a
>> couple of pitfalls to look out for. If it turns out to be either of these
>> problems, post back, and one of us should be able to guide you through
>> the repair process. FWIW, I think it is unlikely that you would have a
>> problem again with the flexiprint cable.
>>
>> Arfa
>

> Also, collapsed rubber insulators allow the disc to scrape while playing.
> Very common, and causes skipping.
>
> Mark Z.

Oh yeah. Forgot that one, Mark ! :-)

Arfa