From: j r powell on
Hi,
I have a small stereo amplifier which came with two tiny 4ohm 3watt speakers.
I'd like to combine the two channels of the amp in order to drive one, slightly
larger, 8ohm 4watt speaker.
The amp is of the non-bridgeable type, so I assume parallel wiring would be
required - combining the two outputs together. I have read that small resistors
are required in parallel configuration, to enable proper current sharing between
the amplifiers, as without them the two amps would fight each other and
overheat. Can anyone tell me the correct values for these resistors, and where
they should be placed?

thanks,
jamie.
--

PS. If your name is Dave Plowman, do not reply.

From: Arfa Daily on

"j r powell" <nospam(a)invalid.xy> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a small stereo amplifier which came with two tiny 4ohm 3watt
> speakers.
> I'd like to combine the two channels of the amp in order to drive one,
> slightly larger, 8ohm 4watt speaker.
> The amp is of the non-bridgeable type, so I assume parallel wiring would
> be required - combining the two outputs together. I have read that small
> resistors are required in parallel configuration, to enable proper current
> sharing between the amplifiers, as without them the two amps would fight
> each other and overheat. Can anyone tell me the correct values for these
> resistors, and where they should be placed?
>
> thanks,
> jamie.
> --
>
> PS. If your name is Dave Plowman, do not reply.

How very rude ... d :-\

Arfa

From: j r powell on

"Arfa Daily" <arfa.daily(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "j r powell" <nospam(a)invalid.xy> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have a small stereo amplifier which came with two tiny 4ohm 3watt speakers.
>> I'd like to combine the two channels of the amp in order to drive one,
>> slightly larger, 8ohm 4watt speaker.
>> The amp is of the non-bridgeable type, so I assume parallel wiring would be
>> required - combining the two outputs together. I have read that small
>> resistors are required in parallel configuration, to enable proper current
>> sharing between the amplifiers, as without them the two amps would fight each
>> other and overheat. Can anyone tell me the correct values for these
>> resistors, and where they should be placed?
>>
>> thanks,
>> jamie.
>> --
>>
>> PS. If your name is Dave Plowman, do not reply.
>>

> How very rude ... d :-\

Well... he follows me around usenet and trolls me.

From: David Nebenzahl on
On 7/21/2010 6:55 AM j r powell spake thus:

> I have a small stereo amplifier which came with two tiny 4ohm 3watt speakers.
> I'd like to combine the two channels of the amp in order to drive one, slightly
> larger, 8ohm 4watt speaker.
> The amp is of the non-bridgeable type, so I assume parallel wiring would be
> required - combining the two outputs together. I have read that small resistors
> are required in parallel configuration, to enable proper current sharing between
> the amplifiers, as without them the two amps would fight each other and
> overheat. Can anyone tell me the correct values for these resistors, and where
> they should be placed?

Have you tried simply using a pair of 8-ohm speakers with the amp?
Chances are they'd work (less power, but shouldn't harm the amp).

From: j r powell on

"David Nebenzahl" <nobody(a)but.us.chickens> wrote in message

> Have you tried simply using a pair of 8-ohm speakers with the amp? Chances are
> they'd work (less power, but shouldn't harm the amp).

I have, but then the audio output is too quiet for my requirements.