From: William Sommerwerck on
>> Have you tried simply using a pair of 8-ohm speakers
>> with the amp? Chances are they'd work (less power,
>> but shouldn't harm the amp).

> I have, but then the audio output is too quiet for my requirements.

I'm not being sarcastic -- but how do you know that paralleling the outputs
will produce a significant increase in power? Ignoring the very pertinent
question of how to do this /correctly/, the most you could get is a 3dB
increase, which is plainly audible, but hardly a large increase.

From: j r powell on

"William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Have you tried simply using a pair of 8-ohm speakers
>>> with the amp? Chances are they'd work (less power,
>>> but shouldn't harm the amp).
>
>> I have, but then the audio output is too quiet for my requirements.
>
> I'm not being sarcastic -- but how do you know that paralleling the outputs
> will produce a significant increase in power? Ignoring the very pertinent
> question of how to do this /correctly/, the most you could get is a 3dB
> increase, which is plainly audible, but hardly a large increase.

A small increase is better than nothing.

From: William Sommerwerck on

>>> I have, but then the audio output is too quiet for my requirements.

>> I'm not being sarcastic -- but how do you know that paralleling the
>> outputs will produce a significant increase in power? Ignoring the
>> very pertinent question of how to do this /correctly/, the most you
>> could get is a 3dB increase, which is plainly audible, but hardly
>> a large increase.

> A small increase is better than nothing.

No, it isn't. Not when it requires a lot of work, and will be only slightly
audible.

"Forget about the whole thing." -- The Lady from Philadelphia

From: j r powell on

>>> I'm not being sarcastic -- but how do you know that paralleling the
>>> outputs will produce a significant increase in power? Ignoring the
>>> very pertinent question of how to do this /correctly/, the most you
>>> could get is a 3dB increase, which is plainly audible, but hardly
>>> a large increase.
>
>> A small increase is better than nothing.
>
> No, it isn't. Not when it requires a lot of work, and will be only slightly
> audible.

Fitting resistors is hardly a lot of work. I just need someone who knows their
stuff, to answer my original question.

From: David Nebenzahl on
On 7/21/2010 6:10 PM j r powell spake thus:

> "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> A small increase is better than nothing.
>>
>> No, it isn't. Not when it requires a lot of work, and will be only slightly
>> audible.
>
> Fitting resistors is hardly a lot of work. I just need someone who knows their
> stuff, to answer my original question.

So, William, what is the correct answer here (value of resistors)? I'm
curious now, too.