From: Joe Keenan on
I am using php and mysql.

The problem which I am hoping someone can help me with concerns
pagination of the result set of a search of a single table.

I got the pagination script I am using from a Sitepoint tutorial and
it works just as it should for this query

"SELECT article_id, category_name, author_name, title,
article_caption, date_format(magazine_date, '%M, %Y') as newdate FROM
articles where article_id > 0 ORDER BY magazine_date DESC LIMIT
$offset, $rowsperpage"

The result set is return over many pages with no problem at all.

When it comes to this next query however it delivers the first page of
results and sets up the linked pages but those are empty.

"SELECT article_id, author_name, category_name, title,
article_caption, date_format(magazine_date, '%M, %Y') as newdate FROM
articles WHERE author_name = '$author_name' ORDER BY magazine_date ASC
LIMIT $offset, $rowsperpage"

I assume the problem must have to do with '$author_name' which is
passed to the search script as '$author_name = $_POST["author_name"];'
from a php form.

Is there something I should be doing to ensure that the result set
from the query persists though the change in pagination from the first
page of results to the second page.

In both cases the search scripts are includes in other php pages.

I think I need to understand how the result set is carried through or
reacquired in the pagination process.

Sorry if this is phrased very clumsily.

Thank you,

Joe Keenan