From: BrantB on

Hello,

We are moving from a very old NT4/Exchange 5.0 backend with Outlook XP
clients (on Win2000), to a newer environment with SBS2003 and Outlook
2007 on WinXP Pro. In the old system, we have each Outlook profile
configured with an external POP3 account and an internal Exchange
account - where Outlook collects collect from external POP3 account and
"delivers" to the Exchange InBox. However, in the new system, we may
run into grief trying to do this (our tests, so far, have not been
promising). There may be an alternative - namely, the POP3 Connector
for Exchange, which somes with SBS - but, I have some concerns about
it.

I have been aware of the POP3 Connector for Exchange for some time, but
I have not had cause to use/implement it before. My understanding is
that the POP3 Connector has a minimum collection interval of 15 minutes.
In other words, we could set it to collect once every hour (or longer)
if we wanted to ... but the shortest interval which is available, is 15
minutes. Can anyone confirm that (or provide me with the correct
information)?

Please understand that I'm not so focused on rapid POP3 collection
intervals - I realize that POP3 was not originally designed/intended to
replace the "real time" nature of full SMTP. However, one of the
advantages of using Outlook to collect the email (via POP3), is that the
end user can easily initiate an "out of band" Send/Receive cycle. So,
we can go with a longer normal collection cycle (i.e. 20, or even 30
minutes) knowing that we could trigger a collection in Outlook only 2 or
3 minutes into the interval - if necessary. Or, the users can elect to
Send Only (so that the inbound bandwidth remains available for other
critical functions, if appropriate). It is a small office, and these
are decisions that the end users are well-versed in.

But, in the case of the POP3 Connector, my understanding is that it
will simply continue to collect at its specified interval (which would
be 15 minutes, at its fastest setting). From my research, it seems that
there is a way to force an "out of band" collection ... but in order to
do so, it looks like someone would have to go to the server (or RDP to
it), and go into the Exchange System Manger to trigger that collection.
In other words, there is no simple "remote admin console" for the POP3
Connector. Any confirmations (or corrections? [smile])?

Lastly - and this is a BIG one ... will the POP3 Connector affect the
way that InBox Rules work. One of the users in this office has a
significant set of rules, and these are very important to her. The vast
majority of the rules indicate "client side" - so I believe that Outlook
has to be running in order for these rules to fire (but maybe I'm wrong
about that [shrug]). That's fine if Outlook is able to collect the
messages ... but how do the rules work if/when the POP3 Connector does
the collecting. Any insight you can provide about this will be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers!

Brant

--
BrantB
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] on
Brant, first a and foremost I will recommend at some point to dump POP3
altogether and use SMTP. Exchange is built on SMTP and using POP really
limits the capabilities of Exchange. With that being said, you hit the nail
on the head that using the POP3 Connector in SBS 2003 will be your best
solution here. I do believe you can change the 15 min. interval with a
registry tweak you can perform, you can Google for the exact instructions.
I would also like to mention that SBS 2008 is the latest version of SBS so
curious as to why you chose to upgrade to SBS 2003 since Exchange 2003
mainstream support ended this last April.

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA

From: BrantB on

Hi John,

I'm really impressed with the activity in these forums. I don't think
I have ever received such quick responses anywhere else [smile]

Normally, where Exchange is involved, I would indeed set up a "full"
2-way SMTP configuration. But this client has a bit of a unique set of
circumstances. Rather than duplicate the explanation here in this
thread, I'll point you to another (related, but separate) thread that I
have going in another forum ...

I'll have a look around for a registry tweak, as you've suggested.
That would certainly increase the collection cycle ... but is not ideal
(for reasons that are touched on in the other thread).

Also ... am I right that there is no (separate) remote admin abilities
for the POP Connector? In other words, the users will have to learn how
to RDP to the server and get into ESM in order for force an out-of-band
collection cycle (or to adjust/delay the next cycle)?

And, what impact - if any - does the POP Connector have on InBox rules?
Do they all still function as expected (including the ones marked as
"client-only")?

SBS2003 vs SBS2008 - long story short - we had misinformation which
indicated that Exchange 2007 was doing away with Public Folders ... and
Public Folders play a BIG role in this particular installation. So, the
client elected to go with SBS2003 before it was no longer available
(i.e. to ensure continuity of Public Folders).

Brant

--
BrantB
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] on
Bart,

Understand your dilemma, I would suggest posting question to the SBS
Newsgroup as they work more closely with SBS POP3 Connector issues,
questions, etc. Exchange Newsgroups deal directly with Exchange questions
and since the POP3 Connector is part of SBS it makes more sense to post to
them for this issue. And as you know, Public Folders have full support in
Exchange 2007 but that is water under the bridge now.

From: Alexander Zammit [MVP] on
May I suggest you not to use the SBS POP3 but to invest in a true POP3 to
SMTP connector (aprox $100).

One advantage of that is the possibility to employ the Exchange IMF to
filter spam. this filter won't work if you use the SBS POP3.

More details here:
http://www.exchangeinbox.com/article.aspx?i=76

--
Alexander Zammit