From: Jon Rowlan on
Has anyone else come across a problem where the POP3 server service does not
start and therefore virtual POP3 services are not available?

My server reports:

An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange POP3 Service: server
instance number 1 failed to start with error 0x80040a01.

Event ID = 1036

Source = POP3SVC

The service begins to start and reports this in the eventlog after a minute.

Virtual POP3 service is not started and the only reported K/B article does
not apply - I have checked (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906154/en-us)
the registry setting that is mentioned is present and correct.

This is exchange 2003 and this started happening since we applied SP2 a
while back. SP2 was fine but a Windows hotfix or few later and the POP3
service does not start up in a timely fashion.

If I go in and manually start the POP3 virtual server then its fine from
then on.

However, if I try and stop and the start the POP3 service in the services
applet it hangs and ends up with a status of "starting". This requires a
reboot before the service comes alive again.

Is it possible to "start" virtual servers from the command line? As a
temporary fix I am going to have to run a scheduled script regularly to
start up the virtual server.

Does anyone have any idea of what is causing this???

Thanks,

jON

From: angshuman on
you try "net start pop3svc" from cmd prompt.

to check the problem stop or turn off all antivirus services that are
currently active on the system.

Angshuman