From: VanguardLH on
Jan Ku�era wrote:

> What I need is to know what makes Outlook think the server supports these
> features or does not.
>
> Eg. it reports 0x80042107 Your e-mail server does not support downloading
> headers.
> How can this happen?
>
> And what does Outlook differently if "leave the message on server" is
> checked?

See my other reply.

It means upon issuing "TOP msgnum n" where msgnum is a message number
returned by the mail *server* from a LIST command sent to it and n is
the number of lines in the body to include (from zero on up) that an
error status was returned by mail server. The client sent a TOP command
and the server rejected that command (as unknown or unsupported).

You could enable the troubleshooting log in Outlook to see the
handshaking commands (USER and PASS) used to establish a mail session,
see the output of the LIST and UIDL commands, and then look at the
msgnum used in the TOP command sent by Outlook. It should be one of the
message numbers returned by the server in response to the LIST command.
The LIST and UIDL commands should not return IDs for deleted items since
obviously anything deleted on the server can no longer be retrieved.
While the RETR command can use unique IDs assigned to each item in the
mailbox (the values returned by the UIDL command), the LIST command
returns an index value for each item, and the TOP command only uses this
same indexed value. It is possible the indexing is screwed up (and why
RETR using UIDs will work when TOP using indexed IDs doesn't). The
"scan listing" returned by LIST may be out of sync with what items
actually still exist in the maildrop, or be returning IDs for items that
have been deleted within the same mail session.

The client can't do anything about a mail server that doesn't want to
support the TOP command (despite that most e-mail monitors use the TOP
command since they just want to report on the headers, not retrieve the
bodies of those items). The client can't do anything about a mail
server that returns IDs for deleted items which will result in errors
when the client attempts to access that non-existent item.

You never mentioned WHO is your e-mail provider. Gmail has lots of
problems. If not Gmail, have your e-mail provider reset your mailbox
(you may lose e-mails that were currently stored in your mailbox so ask
before a reset).
From: Steve on
Evan,

Sorry, I was assuming that the server in question was in compliance with the
POP3 standard (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1939.html). The universities in
question were obviously assuming the same thing. Judging from the responses
further down the thread, there are apparently some server mail applications
that don't do this. In that case, the poster should identify the server
application being used and check their web site for support details.

I'm surprised that the Microsoft Outlook client does not follow the
standard, or at least make a better attempt to detect compliance before
offering this option.

From: Steve on
Evan,

We've probably given this more coverage than it deserves, but...

From section 1:

"POP3 is not intended to provide extensive manipulation operations of mail
on the server; normally, mail is downloaded and then deleted. A more
advanced (and complex) protocol, IMAP4, is discussed in [RFC1730]."

Most implementations of POP honor this and defer that function to IMAP.
Section 8 explains the reasoning for not storing messages long-term in a
little more depth.

I'm not saying that you are not correct about the DELE command and Outlook;
clearly that works and is the normal mechanism shown in the examples. But if
you read the rest of Section 8, you'll see that they refer to a server-based
policy for deleting mail that would override any client communications. And
this leads to my real point: Some POP3 servers do not support mail
retention, whether the client issues the DELE command or not. This is why
the original poster needs to specify which server they are using.

I hope that this makes my point a little clearer.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1939.html#ixzz0oD4MUgHr