From: dave on
Hi
I m thinking to build application point of sale system using VB.
I have never done before so I'm very much new and couldnt understand where
should i start from.
Can anyone guide me?
Can any one suggest how to print to epson tm88iii printer using vb
code...becoz we are going to use that printer...
Thanx in advance
dave

From: MikeD on

"dave" <forged(a)foo.netREMOVE> wrote in message
> Hi
> I m thinking to build application point of sale system using VB.
> I have never done before so I'm very much new and couldnt understand where
> should i start from.
> Can anyone guide me?
> Can any one suggest how to print to epson tm88iii printer using vb
> code...becoz we are going to use that printer...

No offense, but this doesn't sound like something you should be taking on
right now. You're essentially trying to run before you've even learned how
to walk (or possibly even crawl).

As to your first question, sorry, but nobody here can really guide you on
how to write a POS app. If you take this on, we can provide help and
suggestions to specific problems you encounter, but that's really about it.
For starters, you'll need to decide on exactly what features and
functionality you want/need the POS to provide. Then, you'll need to create
and design a database schema. Next, you might create the UI. Finally, you'll
write code to make everything work.

As to your second question, you should be able to use VB's Printer object.
You just need to install the right printer driver.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

From: Jean-claude on

"dave" <forged(a)foo.netREMOVE> a ýcrit dans le message de news:
%2349IrkiEFHA.228(a)tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> I m thinking to build application point of sale system using VB.
> I have never done before so I'm very much new and couldnt understand where
> should i start from.
> Can anyone guide me?
> Can any one suggest how to print to epson tm88iii printer using vb
> code...becoz we are going to use that printer...
> Thanx in advance
> dave

What MikeD has explained you is right !
So for printing on Epson TMT88xx, you can use the Epson Drivers (the best
way i think, for network printer), or direct print to serial port, or use
the OPOS driver.
A Point Of Sales is not an easy thing, my previous company created 3 pos
software, and it is a long way to create a professionnal one.

Jean-Claude
-------------------------
www.namtuk.com
-------------------------

From: Ralph on

"dave" <forged(a)foo.netREMOVE> wrote in message
> Hi
> I m thinking to build application point of sale system using VB.
> I have never done before so I'm very much new and couldnt understand where
> should i start from.
> Can anyone guide me?
> Can any one suggest how to print to epson tm88iii printer using vb
> code...becoz we are going to use that printer...
> Thanx in advance
> dave

Just to add to everyone else's comments...

In order to have an effective system you will need a cash box, scanner,
display, wire/less link, etc. You can buy these items in complete packages
bundled with software far, far cheaper than anything you can mix 'n match
and write on your own.

Just adapting the software to your problem domain will be major project on
its own.

-ralph

From: JP Bless on
Mike is very right. POS systems is probably one of the most taxing
applications you would ever build. Think of the many scenarios a good POS
system must deal with. Depending on the type... You would have to consider

Sales
-Barcode scanning method (and devices)
-Return (Of course customers do return items when not satisfied)
-Layaway
-Weighing products... type of Scale
-Customer Display
-Discounting
-Tender methods
Think of other modules like Inventory, Accounting, Orders etc...

No one is trying to discourage you but designing a POS is not a walk in the
park. There are way too many things to design and program. Unless, of course
you just want a "no-frills" in-house system that just rings in sales. If you
like, you can visit www.planetsourcecode.com and search for POS or inventory
system. There are good souls out there who are willing to share some of
their hard work. By the way, printing and opening cash drawers with VB is
very easy... see sample code below

This will open cash drawer attached to "COM1:"
Open "COM1:" For Output As #1
'This codes opens most cash drawers
'Epson Standard
Print #1, Chr(27) & Chr(112) & Chr(0)
Close #1
DoEvents
Exit Sub

Print to Epson attached to Com1: (Code untested)

This will open cash drawer attached to "COM1:"
Dim i as integer
Open "COM1:" For Output As #1
'Epson Standard
For I = 1 to 10
Print #1, "Computer P4 $1500.99"
Next i
Close #1
DoEvents
Exit Sub
And then there is the nagging part about formating the receipt