From: Tobias on
I have two POP3 accounts on my TP2. One of them works without problems but
the other one gives me the following error message: "Messages cannot be
downloaded to your mobile device. Make sure you are connected and that your
e-mail account settings are correct. Then, try to download messages again."

I searched the web and forums and there are quite some people with the same
problem but unfortunately all the mentioned solutions didn't work for me.

So far I tried:
1. Soft and Hard Reset
2. Deleting and reentering the account
3. Different combinations of username (just the name or full email address)
4. Tried the ip address of the POP3 server in case its a DNS problem
5. Made sure the correct port is used (110)
4. Tried the ForceOffSSL registry key that had worked for some

I tried the account in question with the q3u email-client using the same
settings and it worked without a problem from the very same device... so it
must be a POutlook problem.

Please, can someone help me out? This is driving me nuts.
I need that account working.

thx
Tobias
From: Tobias on
Hi Beverly,
Thanks for your reaction. Maybe I didn't explain clearly what I meant but I
don't have an ActiveSync problem. The problem is that I cannot download
messages from the POP3 server.

Btw, when I do a hard reset and the first an only thing I do is create that
email account in question first I get an "Server certificate is invalid"
error and then the "Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile
device..." message.
Maybe it has something to do with it but the account doesn't use SSL.

thx
Tobias
From: Todd Allcock on

"Tobias" <tobias87(a)zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> Hi Beverly,
> Thanks for your reaction. Maybe I didn't explain clearly what I meant but
> don't have an ActiveSync problem. The problem is that I cannot download
> messages from the POP3 server.
>
> Btw, when I do a hard reset and the first an only thing I do is create
> that
> email account in question first I get an "Server certificate is invalid"
> error and then the "Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile
> device..." message.
> Maybe it has something to do with it but the account doesn't use SSL.

I might be a pure compatibility issue with POutlook then, unfortunately,
since you said it did work with QMail on the device. One summer I had
trouble with AOL's IMAP implementation in POutlook- messages couldn't be
sent from the device. It took a volley of emails and posts in their pitiful
support forums for them to fix it.

Is this a free server, or one that offers a free trial? If so, could you
tell us who it is so some of us could set up a dummy account and try it on
our devices? That'd at least "prove" it's a problem between POutlook and
that particular server.

From: Terry Pinnell on
Beverly Howard <Bev(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

>This rings a very distant bell from the past... may not be relevant, but
>easy to try.
>
>Try this first http://bevhoward.com/ASync.htm#PST

Great page Bev! Never knew of it until idly browsing just now. I'm in that
rare state of having no AS problems for the moment, but I've bookmarked it as
an essential port-of-call for future issues.

--------------------

I glanced briefly through the first section you recommended to Tobias:

"Trashing the .PST File Alternatives
With any search for Activesync solutions, repairing or replacing the Outlook
".PST" file seems to top the list of fixes, but I beg to differ that it is
unlikely to be the cause of the problem in a high percentage of the cases.

It is a good time burning exercise ..."

As I read it, you're saying that it's UNLIKELY to be the cause of problems in
many cases? So shouldn't that be worded something like

"...but I disagree that it is unlikely to be the cause of the problem in a
high percentage of the cases."

or

"...but I beg to differ because it is unlikely to be the cause of the problem
in a high percentage of the cases."

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
From: Terry Pinnell on
Beverly Howard <Bev(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

> >> East Grinstead, UK <<
>
>;-) ...This heres how we talk herebouts... we regularly murder the
>Queen's Ainglash every day, in my own case, often saying something
>completely different than my intent.
>
>To respond, I'm too scattered. If you go through my site, you will find
>reams of poorly written trivia plopped on the pages in an attempt to
>provide a ref point to some oft discussed topic... as a way to not have
>to re-type it each time a regular question was asked.
>
>Those pst words were probably committed to html at least six years ago
>and I havn't read them since but the link posted in the hope that there
>were enough clues within the text to lead to a resolution.
>
>Will try to take a look at that info in the next week or so.

Oops! On looking back at my reply I see that I introduced a typo myself in my
first suggested re-wording. That 'unlikely' should, of course, have been
'likely'. Pesky double negatives ;-)

Reminder to self: When correcting someone else's typo, triple check your
reply.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK