From: Hillbilly on
<snip />
> If you just need to display a series of images of PPT slides but don't
> need to
> capture animations, you could automate PPT to export slides to images,
> then do
> whatever you like with those (embed them in HTML you generate, for
> example).

<snip />

I started out thinking images would be my only option Steve. I've also got
to look into what can be done to reuse what PP can generate to HTML. What
I'm working on is a way to allow people to use PP to create slideshows that
can be uploaded to a server and played back in a Silverlight app. So I need
playback capabilities supporting as much of the capabilities PP provides
(2010 is looking very good from a customer's point of view but still, what I
read continues to imply Microsoft has no freaking clue how invaluable PP is
as a media composition app).

I'm trying to build a "digital signage" SaaS that runs the media on HDTVs
located in the bars, nightclubs and restaurants. I need Silverlight or may
even be using WPF because I also need to integrate content from an RSS feed
generator I've developed that is to be used to transport media like images
and slideshow enclosures but also be used to transport text announcements
that will scroll in the lower-third.

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <#xBPdtqnKHA.6084(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Hillbilly wrote:
> <snip />
> > If you just need to display a series of images of PPT slides but don't
> > need to
> > capture animations, you could automate PPT to export slides to images,
> > then do
> > whatever you like with those (embed them in HTML you generate, for
> > example).
> >
> <snip />
>
> I started out thinking images would be my only option Steve. I've also got
> to look into what can be done to reuse what PP can generate to HTML.

Approach that one with a bit of caution ... 2010 will no longer have the Save
as Web Page (ie, save as HTML) feature. In MSpeak, it's been "deprecated". Or
as you, I, and the Red Queen would put it "Off with its head".

It's still exposed to automation but that could change in a later version or
even by release.

But the idea is to let users create the output on their own computers and
upload to the server, right? That's probably the best bet, as it eliminates
all of the "Don't automate PPT on the server" issues that MS brings up.

FWIW, one of my customers does something similar ... uses our PPT2HTML add-in
to convert PPT to customizable HTML that gets pushed out to PCs running big
displays as digital signage.

> What
> I'm working on is a way to allow people to use PP to create slideshows that
> can be uploaded to a server and played back in a Silverlight app. So I need
> playback capabilities supporting as much of the capabilities PP provides
> (2010 is looking very good from a customer's point of view but still, what I
> read continues to imply Microsoft has no freaking clue how invaluable PP is
> as a media composition app).
>
> I'm trying to build a "digital signage" SaaS that runs the media on HDTVs
> located in the bars, nightclubs and restaurants. I need Silverlight or may
> even be using WPF because I also need to integrate content from an RSS feed
> generator I've developed that is to be used to transport media like images
> and slideshow enclosures but also be used to transport text announcements
> that will scroll in the lower-third.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <OC3J12EoKHA.1548(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Hillbilly wrote:
> If Azure does not shape up by the time I am ready to build that part of the
> services I would likely choose Amazon's cloud as they support .NET and SQL
> Server and "streaming" but I will have to study what the oogles have to
> offer.
>
> I liked the way you named and used a placeholder grammar as its still
> possible for me to continue to access the DOM to call web service(s) for
> scrolling feeds in the lower-third of the same page.

It gives the user a lot of control, which was the intent. Really, PPT2HTML is
more of a content extraction and substitution engine. There are only a few
rare instances where it actually inserts HTML or other code.

==============================

From: Hillbilly on

"Steve Rindsberg" <abuse(a)localhost.com> wrote in message
> In article <OC3J12EoKHA.1548(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Hillbilly wrote:
>> If Azure does not shape up by the time I am ready to build that part of
>> the
>> services I would likely choose Amazon's cloud as they support .NET and
>> SQL
>> Server and "streaming" but I will have to study what the oogles have to
>> offer.
>>
>> I liked the way you named and used a placeholder grammar as its still
>> possible for me to continue to access the DOM to call web service(s) for
>> scrolling feeds in the lower-third of the same page.
>
> It gives the user a lot of control, which was the intent. Really,
> PPT2HTML is
> more of a content extraction and substitution engine. There are only a
> few
> rare instances where it actually inserts HTML or other code.
>
> ==============================
> PPT Frequently Asked Questions
> http://www.pptfaq.com/
>
> PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
> http://www.pptools.com/

I didn't get to try it out much because it hung on me after a change of mind
and clicking back and forth on other items in the same area of the ribbon
control where you write your menu item.

From: Steve Rindsberg on

> I didn't get to try it out much because it hung on me after a change of mind
> and clicking back and forth on other items in the same area of the ribbon
> control where you write your menu item.

I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I'd be happy to help. Here's not the
place though ... there's a Contact link on each page on the PPTools site.
Let's start there if you like.

Thanks.